DIY "speaker box" ("BOOM BOX"). Help needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY "speaker box" ("BOOM BOX"). Help needed.

Hello, I am looking to make a all-in-one-box design, similar in design and objectives to the ipod hifi.

This means a box with about 15-20 liters of volume(4-5 galons) with two full range speakers. I have been reading some threads here, and datasheets, and believe that a suitable driver size would be around 4" to 5". I have read good things about the fostex FE 106 and FE 126, and I also read good things about the tang band drivers but I could use some advice regarding the drivers.
The price should remain below 40€/55$ per driver.

Power will come from a T-class digital amplifier such as those offered by 41hz.com autocostruire or diy paradize. The candidates so far are the AMP4, AMP6 , Class-T-Amp-2020-m-mk2 from autocostruire and Charlize.

Power will probably be a SLA battery but also a AC power using a transformer in a separate enclosure.

I need advice regarding the driver choice and size, enclosure tipe( bass reflex port or not, interior walls, and that kind of cabinet design issues.) Sugestions are very welcomed.

I have experience in woodworking for quite some years now, and a very complete woodshop at home with all sorts of tools. I have also experience in electronics but this would be my first speaker project.

Thanks in advance and start sneding those opinions!

Manuel

Though not quite what you seek, you can probably get a few ideas from the link in my sig to my boombox design. I'm currently testing low-cost tweeters that might sound better than those already in but so far my boombox has actually replaced my heavily modified Dali 404's as reference speakers. They are more natural and with greater detail and ambience feeling.

that boom box is exactly what I want, but half the size and with full range drivers. Apart from these differences your project is very cool!

in that link you provided I see that there is a cX-over for the drivers. Why do I need a X-over if this is a full renage driver? PLease pardon these questions but when it comes to speakers I'm still a bit of a noob.

Thanks in advance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.