Amplifier Survey: Fostex 206 or 207 users

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally posted by OzMikeH

First of all, the 206 and 207 are not comparable. Totally different drivers that sound totally different. Besides that, the 206 does not lend itself to the type of speakers I build. Therfore, my response applies to the 207 only.

1: What amplifier do you use?

1. Yamaha HTR 5240. This is my HT receiver that I use for HT (really?!) and casual listening, which is 90% of the time. Good, clean amp with lots of power for dynamics, given 92-94dB/w/m speakers.

2. SI Super T-amp. This is my favorite with both the 207 and Lowther DX2/DX3. All of the things that T-amps do well. The strong (honest?) top end fits well with the 207 and is best went the speakers are toed in 10-15 degrees. This is not the amp to use with screechy drivers like the 206!

3. Custom built (Jef Larson -- Abraxas Audio) 6BX7 p-p. This is my demo amp. I take it to shows, etc. It seems that audiophiles expect and demand tube amps, so I have one. I had Jef make this amp sound as close to SS as possible and he did. Sounds very much like the Yamaha. A bit cleaner and a bit softer at the top. Drives the 207's very well.

2: What does it do better than other amps you have tried?

Answered

3: How loud do you usually listen and how hard is your amp working at that level?

Normal listening level is ~75-80dB for music, a bit higher for HT. Demos are usually somewhat louder 85-90dB, but I can't stand this level for long. The amps are loafing along at under 1 watt. With speakers of over 90dB/w/m, power is hardly an issue.

4: Does any particular sort of music work very well with your equipment?

Solo voice, small group jazz, classical with orchestras under 50 pieces.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I stated those 2 drivers as a couple of mid-low priced 8 inch fullrange drivers.
I appreciate your time, your answers are exactly the sort if info I was looking for to help me chose a (mid-low priced) amplifier project to run some FE207E.
My 207 sound awful on my Harman Kardon AV receiver compared to a borrowed tube amp.

Perhaps this will spark some discussion on amp/speaker combinations.

1. Yamaha RX-396 and Yamaha RX-V450with my 206 Bruces ( RX-396 is going for my oncoming tapped horn )

2. I'm all Yamaha guy so... Yamahas tends to sound bright, I have to reduce treble level with 206. Nice "live" sound.

3. Casual listening around +70dB, enjoying demos and movies a bit louder. I live in an aparment house so not to irritate neighbours I have to keep volume levels down ... except sometimes ; )

4. Acoustic, live material. For studio material I prefer Sennheiser 595 straight from my pc.

--
Tuomas

Fostex 165k, 168S, 127e, all sound wonderful on tube power (EL34 tubes, 30 watts). They also sound wonderful but a little different with Sonic Impact (stock $30 model).

Tubes sound rounder and fuller with more front-to-back depth. Edges are slightly blurred. The entire presentation is relaxed.

SI sounds less full (must try the Super T) and crisper. Edges are sharp without blur. Slightly congested compared to tubes but only when playing loud. Soundstage is flatter than tubes. To me, the most immediate and apparent difference is how the depth of the soundstage becomes flatter. Otherwise, they are both enjoyable to listen to critically or for pleasure. Bass limitations are apparent with larger speakers with greater bass capabilities.

I have a Yamaha receiver that I use only with my Tangband drivers for HT. It sounds great but overall, Fostex with tubes or SI sounds more alive.

I'm with you godzilla!
I have blind tested with an expensive cabel and my Naim NACA5.
The difference was so remarcable that I would have coughed up the dough if I had it at the time. Depth, clarity and soundstage were outstanding compaired to NACA5.
There are maybe some brands which are outrageously priced but exceptions exists where one has value for the money.

Cheers!

Thanks for your input people.
So far what's looking good for my budget is a Trends TA 10 with a few mods and a battery supply in the voids in each speaker. Using only one channel from each should assist the bass if the power supply is the limitation.

Why is solid cat5 preferred over stranded? I've tested both as network cables and they both perform well enough at 100 megabits.

I've tried a Trends TA10 with my recently built Jordan JX92S kit (http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod146.htm) but I'm disappointed with the results... my guess is that its because they are a relatively inefficient driver? (Quite new to all this)

It does however sound fantastic with the little JXR6HD's in some 2ltr enclosures. My Mac Pro laptop seems to be a good combination with this amp and the little Jordans... imaging is just incredible considering its very much nearfield... but definitely needs a sub.

Would anyone recommend a good Amp for a Jordan JX92s (loaded question I know!)? Do they benefit from a decent valve amp? I know they don't need masses of power, but what is a reasonable amount? Maybe I should be asking what definitely doesn't work with them? ;-)

OzMikeH said:
1: What amplifier do you use?
2: What does it do better than other amps you have tried?
3: How loud do you usually listen and how hard is your amp working at that level?
4: Does any particular sort of music work very well with your equipment?

Hi, I have the FE206 in the Fostex's recommended BLH.
1. SE 6080 named Lilliput
2. It signs :cool: Ok, it sings with all SE tube amps I've tried it with. (five different tube types tried)
3. I'd say that the amp is not working hard even if I listen loud. You just need to have a decent source/preamp working with the amp.
4. look @ previous replies. I listen to all kind of music with these and for me it works.

Cheers,
Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.