Any fullrange work in all box types? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any fullrange work in all box types?

I everybody,

I plan on picking up a few tools and MJKs MathCAD sheets over the next few months so that I can spend the winter building boxes different types of boxes.

What I am wondering is, is there any one fullrange speaker that seems to work acceptably in all the different box types? I mean something that performs acceptable in a sealed, vented, transmission line, horn (BIB), and MLTL? The CSS FR125 seems to have a lot of different designs out there for it in most of the different types of boxes. Is there anything else out there anybody can think of?

Thanks.
Old 28th August 2007, 01:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

On the Prairies, you are supposed to build speakers in the summer and do electronics in the winter !

The Fostex FE127E is a good choice as well and less money too. It can work sealed, small bass reflex, T-Line and likely a few more.

Cheers,
Gio
Old 28th August 2007, 02:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On the Prairies, you are supposed to build speakers in the summer and do electronics in the winter !
Gmilitano you should have told my old man that one! I guess I thought I could do that kind of thing in winter due to the many hours a day I would be holding boards while dad cut them, all outside in the blizzarding snow!

Thanks for the hint there on the FE127E. I see there is a lot of things one can do with that speaker. Their is a BIB design up on Godzillas site and a MLTL as well.

Thanks again.
Old 28th August 2007, 02:42 AM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

a few designs for the FE127E that I quite like:

aperiodic vented:
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html

mass loaded (folded) voigt pipe:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...27-MLV-1v0.pdf

call it a "horn/TL hybrid" or whatever you like - it quite nicely works, and the supra baffle is definitely worth the extra effort: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/tom-zHorn.html
Old 28th August 2007, 03:25 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE127 has been put into the Frugel-Horn with reported success, and works in a Metronome.

dave
Old 28th August 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help guys. Any more anybody can think of, maybe a little bigger in size?
Old 28th August 2007, 03:31 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Basically, you want a fairly low Fs with a Qts in the 0.25-35 range and a decent size Vas for the frame size, so the Fostex FE167 or 207E are popular choices that 'fill the bill'.

GM
Old 28th August 2007, 03:34 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidallancole
Thanks for the help guys. Any more anybody can think of, maybe a little bigger in size?

well then:
for a monopole, Harvey or Mikasa from the would be worth looking at

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...ans-030107.pdf

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-070707.pdf

if you have the budget and physical room for a bipole, the Metronome sounds great, and once you get the angles set right on your saw, a very easy build.

http://www.frugel-horn.com/metronome.html
Old 28th August 2007, 04:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

Those metronomes look nice. How far away from the wall does a bipole need to be? I can hand around a foot, but any farther and the girlfriend will kill me.
Old 28th August 2007, 05:48 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by davidallancole
How far away from the wall does a bipole need to be? I can hand around a foot, but any farther and the girlfriend will kill me.
To really be at their best probably a foot plus, but as a counter to that we were listening to Scott Dunn's BiFonkens on Friday night and they were sited about 8" from the wall (althou at a bit of an angle) and sounded FINE

And with Mets -- especially if made from plywood as recommended -- they are not hard to move a bit further out for really serious listening.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!