FF225K+FT17H in BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I finished building the BIB enclosure for Fostex FE206E. I like everything beside the high, after sometime they cause listening fatigue. Because I must put the BIB in the angle, the sound became harsh,but I must say that the room isn't furnished a lot and it has some echo.

The Fe206e are of my friend, and now I must buy one pair. But I was thinking to buy the ff225k+FT17H. The ff225k seems more smooth in FR graph, isn't it?

thak you

Are the borrowed FE206E fitted with Phase plugs?
These drivers are not good at the high end without the duct cap cut out and phase plugs fitted.
I have the very similar 207 and phase plugs made a massive improvement to the high end.

I have no experience with the 225k. Surely one driver might be better to try with improvements? then add a tweeter later if you are still not happy.

I used to have some without... then I took a scalpel to them. Does that count?

The difference between with and without on the FE207 is very big, It's like a driver that costs twice as much.
the difference is only in the highest frequencies. it does not alter the midrange and bass at all.

I'd be tempted to use the dramatic rolloff of the Tymphany at 4kHz with some gentle additional filtering, perhaps a 6dB filter on that with a 12dB on the tweeter. Phase response would be all over the place. That may not bother you much, also crossing over that low means any deficiencies in the crossover are more easily heard. That slight rise right at 3k is also worth bearing in mind when designing your crossover.

With the odd shapes you can get those drivers extremely close together, you could even trim 2 of the wings on the tweeter. A very big advantage.

Bi-amping these with a steep active line level crossover at just over 3k would make a very nice speaker.

>>> But I was thinking to buy the ff225k+FT17H.

Based on what i heard with the ff165k + RS pod super tweeter, i would imagine the 225k + FT17H would be nearly as good as it gets in the world of speakers. I wouldnt hesitate to buy this combination and build BIBs for them if i had the room to handle the size of the cabinets.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-godzillabib.asp

Godzilla

BIB 2 way

I am using Fe208Ez with an Aurum Cantus GSi on my BIBs. This brings the tweeter at more or less ear level and I have a 18 dB crossover at about 6k so that I miss the peak of this driver there. The results are stunning. But I have used this tweeter on three projects and do like it. I used full range for years but this to me is much better.

Er, are we talking about the same cabinet here? Help below 800Hz is about the last thing a 206 needs in a box like this, with 174in of line length (or 140in if the shorter version is built). F3, without room-gain, is about 30Hz. With room-gain (they're really corner horns, though a rear wall is usually more than sufficient) you get such a boost that they compensate for step-loss & the LF can get little overpowering for some tastes. Bass is not something BIB builders generally need to worry about. ;) Generally, the reaction people have on first hearing them is to wonder where the 15in subwoofer is hiding.

The 206 is naturally a slightly forward sounding unit, especially in upper mids & treble -3KHz - 12KHz seems to be the problem area -phase plugs tame that easily enough though.

I ordered the ff225k and ft17h. and caps 1.5 u/f, and 2.2 u/f( maybe 2,2 is little high to cross but I'll try).

Today I tried different position of the bib.Now they are against the rear wall but a little far from angles otherwise there's too much bass that in some cd cover the mid. Anyway my room is strange because also if using just the left BIB the bass seems coming from the right speaker( wich for the occasion was off).

I tried with a test audio cd. And I noticed that on specific frequencies there are vibration. Is it the fir wood that vibrate because is soft or could it be other thing? The bib are placed over a cork sheet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.