Wiring for Fostex FE-168E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, I assure you, it's not a joke. Expensive wire is a mugs game -it's mostly marketing waffle containing half-truths, perhaps a little incorrectly applied science, and downright lies. You can save a fortune by making your own wire. A pair of 24AWG conductors extracted from a run of Cat5, and untwisted (to lower the capacitance), and then stuck between a couple of bits of tape works as well, or better than, some of the most insanely priced wire available when using FR drivers.

Well....

Scottmoose said:
No, I assure you, it's not a joke. Expensive wire is a mugs game -it's mostly marketing waffle containing half-truths, perhaps a little incorrectly applied science, and downright lies. You can save a fortune by making your own wire. A pair of 24AWG conductors extracted from a run of Cat5, and untwisted (to lower the capacitance), and then stuck between a couple of bits of tape works as well, or better than, some of the most insanely priced wire available when using FR drivers.

So you suppose to use this also for connecting amp and speaker? And this will sound great?

what about some 8 conductor ribbon cable, use the outer wire or 2 for each pole, leave the middle 6 or 4 disconnected. It would be neater than all of that sticky tape.

About Cardas and the like:
Those cables are just jewelery. Nothing wrong with jewelery if you like it, It's like putting polished gold plated hubcaps on your car. The aerodynamic profile will produce acceleration with more authority than ever before. Also putting Evian in the radiator makes the transients more dramatic and spirited in mountainous passages.

Just look at the size of the internal wiring in the speaker, the thickness of the leads on the capacitors in the crossover, the thickness of the voice coil wire. for a 3 or 4 metre cable cat 5 is big enough. Longer use 2 pairs. Or use mains extension cord cable with the plugs cut off, it's available in many spouse friendly colours.
Don't bother will all of that crazy braiding of cat5, it increases the capacitance and can make your amplifier go silly.

OzMikeH said:
The aerodynamic profile will produce acceleration with more authority than ever before. Also putting Evian in the radiator makes the transients more dramatic and spirited in mountainous passages.
[/B]
Brilliant! :D You are right maybe as in studio dollar/meter cables used. My vintage (late 60-s)DECCA L300 monitor does not care of cables and plays in his own manner on all of them.

Don't go thinner than 24AWG conductors then, as your amp already will have a fairly low DF. The straightened Cat5 should be ideal as internal cable, and if the speaker cable is about 3m or less, good for that too. If you need a longer run, I'd suggest either the enamelled copper wire (18AWG would be good), or solid core twin + earth mains cable.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OzMikeH said:
Those cables are just jewelery. Nothing wrong with jewelery if you like it, It's like putting polished gold plated hubcaps on your car.

Some of the expensive wire is valid but alot of it is someone trying to take advantage of the market. Which is which takes listening. The problem is that much of it is silly expensive, wire can be very system dependent so you have to listen to it in context to see if it does the job, and not many people have the where-with-all to test big buck wire in-situ.

So i take the frugal-phile(tm) approach. I lean on the billions of miles of Cat 5 to buy inexpensive (actually if you know where to ask it rarely costs anything) very pure, very consitently sized wire. If it were one off audiophile cable it would likely cost 100-1000x as much just due to economies of scale.

We started with lots and ended up preferring single strand separated. Now we are playing with cyro.

dave

Hi,

This is what I did. Woks fine. (Thanks Dave)

Regards,

Vix

Attachments

• image086.jpg
    image086.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 239
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.