Finished horn modelled with MJK's analysis worksheet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IB? Wow GM that sounds really cool. I'm still working on WAF for this but I had a really crazy idea. I hope I can explain this without a diagram. I wanted to try IB subs for my living room and here is why.

The living room has a ceiling which when you look up at it, it resembles a horn. There is a vertical wall which has the attic behind it that is ~ 16ft tall. The ceiling comes down at about a 45 degree angle to the opposite wall where I have my TV/ home theatre system. One day I was looking up at it and because I always am thinking about horns I said "Hey that looks like a horn. What would happen if I put speakers up there kinda like a IB using the room as my FLH?" I mentioned it to my wife and she said "You need to get help. Stop thinking about horns and speakers."

Does this sound like a cool idea? I'm thinking the home theatre system already has active crossover so I wouldn't need any bandpass.

Attachments

• dsc00082.jpg
    dsc00082.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 301
Tell her it's speakers/horns or a Harley, booze n' broads, not necessarily in that order!

Yes, sub drivers up at the apex will load a bit, but the flare rate/effective length is way too fast/short to load much down in a sub's BW, though a good place to put a true sub for movie special effects and/or pipe organ symphonies.

freddi said:
oh GM - you mean a sub for Andy's horns - dunno if 1259 in a crawlspace BP4 (IB rear vented front piped into house) could do it or not.

Yep, my old 225 W sub amp barely moved the one I played with, not surprising with such a low Qms, so should have no problem with a few hundred to thousand ft^3 rear chamber and ~2.85 ft^3 front one, but the vent may prove problematic if BoxPlot is to be believed. His ceiling 'horn' may suffice though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.