Mini me clone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been working on a mini me clone. Only, I'm not modding the drivers like Omega did.

Anyone who have worked with these drivers feel the need for any type of filter? I remember the Omega version had nothing, or at least they claimed nothing.

I'm about ready to button up the boxes, I just wanted any tips, advise.

DSC01710.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

I ran the 1052SAs w/o a filter and liked the sound a lot but I like them even better with a tweeter. However I can't explain why. I don't have measuring equipment and can therefore not justify in measurements why I like the one over the other, I just do. I did like them a lot more than I had ever expected I would though.

Running them fullrange without a filter didn't leave me with the impression that they had a lack of high end or any other pronounced flaw. But compared to my current project a 2-way design with the same chassis in a 4 driver array I like the current project better, even more so than I had hoped or expected.

mini me clone

I just finished my own clones. They were my first attempt at speaker building, had a little veneer issues (look good though). I tried the 1052sd with no filter and I liked them, however, I bought a pair of Merrill DCA4's. I was planning on using them for zigma hornets, but I like them better than the TB's in the cloned mini me box. They are staying in the clones. I am using a modded t-amp to power them. I would like to test them but I don't have the equipment either, yet. I had no issues with soldering through the hole to the binding posts. For damping I am using open cell foam, I think I may want to try other materials later. I was going to mod the TB's but I'd rather not have the visible glue ring.

Good luck
David

Thanks for the info guys. I had these up and running in some test boxes, and I like the way they sound too.

I'm just using them as bedroom tunes. I run a stock SI amp and use the batteries for portable audio. The finished boxes might be a tad big for that, but I don't care. I rather use that then a POS boom box.

I guess I'll just finish them up as is. They do sound nice, and I'm not disappointed at all. I just wanted to see if there is anything I should consider while building them.

I'm out of town, so I'll post some info that I remember. I can PM, or email my Win ISD file later.

If I remember right, they have f3s of 54hz. The box is 9"w,12"t,11"d.

I made it 11" from the back baffle. So with the front and back, it's more like 12.5" I tink. I always try and round up just a tad to make room for the driver basket. I'm too lazy to actually do the math.

The port is 2.5" long, 1.5" diameter pvc.

Now that I've had them up and running for a few days, I'm extremely pleased. While I would never recommend them for a main audio system, unless maybe you have a really small apartment and walls that are paper thin and picky neighbors, I LOVE them in the bed room. I'm using a stock SI amp with a SI power supply, and I was playing the the equalizer on my MP3 player. Set it to Rock, and I'm actually getting clean, low bass. Of course, it's still a little shallow, it's rather nice, and I don't like any more bass when I listen to background music while going to sleep.

I think they would also be perfect for a office, bedroom, or if you don't mind lugging around some stuff, portable audio. I'm going to always take them with me if I stay some place for a few days. I had them out on the patio last night powered by batteries and they were great.

My personal goal was to make a affordable good sounding system for the bed room that I could take with me. I wanted to out do any mini system or boom box at any cost. I think I did it. I know others can play louder, but these little guys are way cleaner sounding then I thought they would be.

TB.jpg

I'm not sure if it would work as a permanent outdoor speaker. I do believe that the cone is paper.

I was going to make another pair with a handle and protective corners. Kind of JD style. I'm afraid when I am done with my first pair, they will look too nice to lug around and risk getting damaged.

Opps, my bad. I don't know why I thought they were paper. Just be sure to put them under a overhang or something. Maybe set it up so you can remove them for bad weather and winter.

I only suggest that because the cone is very thin. It almost looks like some kind of funky membrane or something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.