Pioneer 8" build, the Chang variant - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2007, 01:52 AM   #131
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: The Chang combo!

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang

I built the first one and I am glad someone else confirmed what I heard ..., my sister is trying to steal my speaker so I have grabbed more of the same tweeters. I don't deserve the Nobel prize, as I only followed the intellectuals suggestions and instructions. Thanks panomaniac for suggesting the combo.

Folks don't let the combo get away, just amazing.

Click the image to open in full size.

gychang

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Plans on this page
http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn-plans.html

This is the curvy version. Render is missing the suggested internal bracing.

dave

I've ordered the speaker components, wow all 60 dollars worth, what a value! Soon I'll fabricate this fellow. I've been enjoying horns for the last thirty years. It'll be interesting to see how this combo sounds.

Any suggestions, or alterations, would be most appreciated. Many thanks to the folks (don't be shy, you know who you are) who's talent and perseverance have made this project possible.

Just wonderful!
Old 6th December 2007, 01:55 AM   #132
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: The Chang combo!

I am curious as to just how much volume is in the center enclosure portion of the loudspeaker. Is it closer to 2 or 3 cf?

I can't remember which thread it was on, but there was a link to the optimum enclosure size for the FOFR, and I think 3 cf was it. Am I correct?
Old 6th December 2007, 02:16 AM   #133
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The Chang combo!

Quote:
Originally posted by John L
I am curious as to just how much volume is in the center enclosure portion of the loudspeaker. Is it closer to 2 or 3 cf?
~3,800 in^3 = 2.2 ft^3 = 62 litres

dave
Old 6th December 2007, 02:19 AM   #134
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The Chang combo!

Quote:
Originally posted by John L
[IMG]

here is the dimensions on the cabinet, I used.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-140807.pdf

gychang
Old 6th December 2007, 02:50 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

I'm asking this because I am about to get around to beginning my project using the BOFR and the PE tweater. But I am going to use the six sided enclosure, and using the lathed upper piece as the horn for 360% dispersion. I suspect the sound will be a little bit different as the sound will be distributed more in all directions, allowing for what should be more depth of field.

But I am still attempting to understand just how much the upper and lower horn of the above project added to the unit. If the enclosure was made smaller, minus the upper horn, would that decrease the sound presence? I believe there is a thread on this smaller project, but don't think there was a comparison between the two.

How much effect is the dual horn outlets? It would be interesting to see how your project will sound with relation to what I have in mind. That would be something worth using as an excuse to attend a convention and giving the two a listen, matched up to each other.

I have already made preliminary test cuts, and pieced six cuts together, so I know how the setting on my table saw needs to be to make all six cuts match well prior to glueing. Now all I will have to do is make my rabbit cuts with the router, on one section of 48" substrate(I can make one pass with the router, for each rabbit, before I cut each piece individually). I have discovered that I can make six cuts that are slightly over 8", and by turning the cuts over, a 48" width will do the job with all six pieces and still leave a little bit left over. That way I can get the pieces for both sets of outer walls from one 4X8 sheet of material. Then the braces will have to be made from other pieces. That should cut down on the cost of plywood.

Once I start out, I will begin a thread on the project and take pictures as I go along. I am sure that you all will have may nice suggestions as I go along with it.

Thanks for the info.

John
Old 6th December 2007, 10:02 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what 'the' six sided cabinet is, so I've no idea I'm afraid.

As for the over-under mouth arrangement, there have been many posts on the subject, and it also depends on which variation you mean. Larger radiating area for a given footprint, superior image depth & dynamic presentation, focused radiation a la a focused array or a ~cylindrical projection in the passband similar to a line array (depending on curved or flat-fronted) etc. The focused versions are IMO superior, but the flat-fronted versions still have the other benefits if forward-firing is required.
Old 6th December 2007, 12:57 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Has the notion of one mouth forward, and one mouth backward been discussed yet? Seems like it may have some advantages, but also some disadvantages. Would be dependant on room and placement.
Old 6th December 2007, 01:07 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
I'm not sure what 'the' six sided cabinet is, so I've no idea I'm afraid.

This.

Instead of the tweater nipple on top, I will not add it, and the top of the horn attachment will be rounded to flow with the design.

Also, the size of the cabinet will be increased to be just a hair over 8" per side. That will allow for me to construct a cabinet that is between 2.5 to 3.0 cf in volume, which would be the optimum size for the BOFR. Rather than having everything fire in one direction, it would fire 360%, creating much more depth.
Old 6th December 2007, 05:30 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

In that case, they're exact opposites & will sound like it. The box you indicate is an omnidirectional design, created to disperse radiation as evenly as possible. A horn & its variations are by contrast highly directional (hence the term waveguide is often employed). Both have their positive and negative points.

For example, the frequent reaction to hearing an omni is 'where are the speakers?' as they do their legendary 'we're not here' act. That comment is also sometimes followed, after the initial shock dies down, by the additional query of 'where exactly are the instruments? They don't seem very easy to locate.'

Meanwhile, the equally frequent reaction to hearing a horn of some variation or other is something on the lines of 'er, that's dramatic / big / precise / fast (varies depending on the type of horn).' And once that shock dies down, it's sometimes followed by 'a trifle too much so for my taste.'

As ever YMMV. Depends on what you're after.

BTW -don't get too hung up on 'optimum sizes.' There's no one optimum size -what's good for one application is not necessarily so for another. It depends what you're trying to achieve.

Hide this!Advertise here!