Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2007, 04:12 AM   #1
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default BVR as designed by Scottmoose and others

In simulations using various bits of software this way of building almost always seems to offer better group delay than a normal vented box. Is there any software that will model the expanding horn part of the vent, after the initial straight narrow part of the vent, as a high narrow exit on the sides of the enclosure, like a fonken type box. If this works in the same way it would be possible to build an enclosure that is not as tall as the BVRs. It would not have the advantage worked out by ronc for the curved front though. If such a narrow horn mouth was divided like the fonken ports into three or four mouths each side with appropriately angled dividers there might be fewer resonances or standing waves in the port /horn mouth. I was thinking of this for bass/mid bass use only with fostex full range mounted open baffle the enclosure.
jamikl
Old 13th August 2007, 06:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

No comments on this idea? It seemed practical but I'm no expert.

I meant Onken rather than Fonken but essentially they are similar.
jamikl
Old 13th August 2007, 08:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's practical, I've done a couple of designs like that myself. Martin's MathCad worksheets are probably the best software to use & if anything should be more accurate than for the over-under design as both vents in the side-by-side layout will be coupled to the floor.
Old 13th August 2007, 08:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply scottmoose. I like this form of enclosure. I have modeled several in Horn Response 16 and the original MJK software with two 8" and two 10" drivers for use up to about 200 - 300 Hz with a horn mid or perhaps a full range mounted open baffle above it.

The enclosures don"t have the height of the Bruce etc but of course are wider. They may go down better with the "other half" because of this.
jamikl

Hide this!Advertise here!