Damping For Fe103 Fostex Recommended Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built the fostex recommended box for the fe103e. I need some help with the following.

1. the recommended box does not have any suggestion for damping/lining/filing. Should there be any?
2. How CRITICAL is the horn size. I could not find 15mm ply and have therefore used 18mm instead and have made adjustments but I am afraid it may not be perfect (the unprofessional capentry also contributed).

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven Chan

Hi Steven
I recently completed some Fostex FE166 BLH, there is a thread on here about my experiences, and an awful lot of good advice as I was in the same boat as you. I would have a read of that thread and a couple of others that will answer a lot of questions.
I made the mistake of lining the back of the expansion chamber with acoustic foam and damping material, and it totaly killed the sound of the speakers, no bass.
On advice I ripped it all out and everything came to life.
I'm running my FE166's now with only some "craft foam" lining the mouth of the horn (for apearance) and no other lining or stuffing and they sound wonderful.
The great thing is building something that sound good, trouble is it dose become addictive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.