FR125s frame/magnet damping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It certainly won't hurt so just do it. Ductseal is a poplar putty to use. I couldn't get any so I used a few packets of poster putty. It's also a good idea to streamline where the magnet meets the basket, damp the basket legs and stick felt on the back of the magnet.

Attachments

• fe207e tweaks.jpg
    fe207e tweaks.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 202
I don't have any measuring equipment. They seem more in control at very high volume but ears are easily fooled. Phase plugs made a much bigger difference (these are FE207E)

It can't hurt except for insulating the magnet, these are fairly efficient (95 dB/W/m) and in normal use don't see any more than 2 or 3 watts so the heat isn't worth worrying about. Reducing turbulence out the back of the driver and improving coupling between the magnet and the basket were my main aims. I gave them a real workout the other day testing an amplifier, they sounded pretty clean until they exceeded Xmax (1.5mm) on music with a high sub bass content.

If it worth doing? it took 15 minutes and cost $6 for the materials to do 2 speakers and I have plenty of sticky felt left over. Even if it does nothing it's cost me next to nothing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.