FR125s frame/magnet damping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default FR125s frame/magnet damping

If you tap the magnet cover of the FR125s driver, you will notice a fairly prominent resonance around 1.45kHz. Just after some opinions on whether it would be worth damping this, or is it a waste of time. It seems quite ringy to me.

Thanks for any advice
Adam
Old 5th August 2007, 11:36 AM   #2
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

It certainly won't hurt so just do it. Ductseal is a poplar putty to use. I couldn't get any so I used a few packets of poster putty. It's also a good idea to streamline where the magnet meets the basket, damp the basket legs and stick felt on the back of the magnet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe207e tweaks.jpg (56.0 KB, 176 views)
Old 5th August 2007, 12:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Do you mind sharing the improvement in your case.

Thanks.
Old 6th August 2007, 02:02 AM   #4
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

I don't have any measuring equipment. They seem more in control at very high volume but ears are easily fooled. Phase plugs made a much bigger difference (these are FE207E)

It can't hurt except for insulating the magnet, these are fairly efficient (95 dB/W/m) and in normal use don't see any more than 2 or 3 watts so the heat isn't worth worrying about. Reducing turbulence out the back of the driver and improving coupling between the magnet and the basket were my main aims. I gave them a real workout the other day testing an amplifier, they sounded pretty clean until they exceeded Xmax (1.5mm) on music with a high sub bass content.

If it worth doing? it took 15 minutes and cost $6 for the materials to do 2 speakers and I have plenty of sticky felt left over. Even if it does nothing it's cost me next to nothing.

Hide this!Advertise here!