Tweeter for FE126e?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all!

So I still haven't finished my frugelhorns, but I have the drivers in the fostex recommended BR boxes. They're well broken in now, been doing primary speaker duty in my house for months now.

The 126's are fantastic for music and vocals, but for movies and TV it's really lacking sizzle. (I have good high freq hearing.)
I need a tweeter. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions that match well and won't break the bank? I found one person saying that the Fountek NeoCD3 ribbons match really well with the Fe126e's, but they go for $90 each. I'd like to keep it under $100 for the pair of tweeters, preferably well under $100.

klocwerk said:
I'm tempted to go with ribbons for their superior off-axis response.
The fostex super-tweet seems quite nice, and would probably pair well, but it's super directional as well.

Fair enough, the HiVi specs at P-E's page don't show dispersion past 30dg off axis, but they otherwise look like they could suit the intended application and budget.

IINM, this looks similar to a ribbon that Steve Deckert uses in his current product line - with rave reviews from all who've heard or purchased them.

Have you decided yet about a supra baffle for the FH?

chrisb said:
Fair enough, the HiVi specs at P-E's page don't show dispersion past 30dg off axis, but they otherwise look like they could suit the intended application and budget.

Agreed. the 30dg specs are better than the fostex one, so I can only assume the 60dg are as well.

The speakers are pretty much flanking the TV, so the inside edges won't have supra-baffle, but they will have TV baffle. :D
I'm debating working it into the lines on the outer edges, assuming it has sufficient WAF. :clown:

chrisb said:

IINM, this looks similar to a ribbon that Steve Deckert uses in his current product line - with rave reviews from all who've heard or purchased them.

Its the same driver. Note though..

Vertical dispersion is nearly non existent with this driver.. but horizontal dispersion is excellent (and likely superb for any driver at any axis).

It isn't a true ribbon - and it won't sound as good as one, BUT it likely will sound better than any normal tweeter. Moreover with a crossover above 4 kHz and not to much power input - it should handle a simple first order electrical well (which a true ribbon would not).

Then of course there is the price - you aren't going to beat this driver for efficiency and usability in a non-standard tweeter. Moreover, Madisound sells them for more than 10 bucks more - each.

Bottom-line: Its the best tweeter for klocwerk's application I can think of at a price he can "stomach".

Here is the application with the reinforced true ribbon (and the reinforced version doesn't sound as good as the normal pleated type):

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/FE126E.htm

Note that there is a cheaper version of the Fountek - but *I* think its less ideal (in several respects), and it costs quite a bit more:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_236&products_id=8190

Don't let narrow dispersion put you off too much. I was thinking that way and considering the Fostex ring radiator tweeter. Then I learned how much early high frequency reflections mess up imaging. Many people do love their ribbons but will they be enough from a standing position?

The FT17H is good for me (except it's ugly) because I like good imaging and I only sit in the right spot when I listen carefully, If I'm not doing that then I just want something that is fair when walking around the room. If you have a whole family sitting down watching movies the ribbons are for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.