Cyburgs Needle kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,

On a german site they sell Cyburgs Needle kits.

http://www.spectrumaudio.de/bausatz/needle.html

Thats very handy.
All you have to do is get the wood and start building.

They sell the kits with three differend drivers.
- FRS8 from Visaton
- W3-871A/SA from Tangband
- W3-315SC from Tangband

I know that the W3-871A/SA is better than the FRS8.
But i never saw W3-315SC around here.
They say it is even better than the W3-871A/SA.
Is this true?
Maybe i mist a thread on this forum.

Please help me decide what kit to to choose.

Thanks

The TABAQ TL is designed for a similar purpose as the Needles. It has been tested with W3-315 as far as I can see, and works well.

TABAQ thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88787

Searching for the W3-315SC is a bit tricky, I didn't get any results here until I searched for 'w3 315'. You might have luck with playing around with the search parameters for more threads.

My hunch is that spectrumaudio is a good vendor, and I'd lean in the direction of trusting them when they say that the 315 is "klarer im Mittelton und spritziger im Hochtonbereich". According to my limited knowledge of the German language, they're trying to tell us that the mids are clearer and the highs are spurtier :)

I'd go for the 315 - report back whatever way you go.

On second thought, I'd get both and make an extra pair to impress girls with. (Works.)

the 315 has a very strongh high end, not everyone's taste. I use them as PC speakers, so listen off axis and not long, then it is OK. I tested them in the Needle for normal music listning, but found the high too much for my taste.

the W3-871 is much more balanced. You can also use the Omnes Audio BB3.01 in the Needle, a truely excelent driver

Henkjan said:
the 315 has a very strongh high end, not everyone's taste. I use them as PC speakers, so listen off axis and not long, then it is OK. I tested them in the Needle for normal music listning, but found the high too much for my taste.

Spritziger is in the eye of the beholder, it seems.

@ebijma: Listen to Henkjan — I believe that in general he knows his stuff, and my advice was purely theoretical.
Henkjan said:
You can also use the Omnes Audio BB3.01 in the Needle, a truely excelent driver
Thanks for confirming this.

Hi I've got the Needle W3-315SC + notch filter, and they sound great. They do tike a while to break in, but when they are, there allmost as good as a speakerunit worth many times they money you'll pay for this unit.

They sound crisp and really fast. You can hear all the instuments in their own spot. Really nice speakers for a lot of music. (Except for Metalheads) See picture for my finished Needle-w3-315SC.

Attachments

• 100_8036.jpg
    100_8036.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 733
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.