first set of full rangers done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first set of diy speakers. They are a japanese isobaric design using two Fostex FE 103 drivers per speaker. http://www.geocities.jp/mo_yon/sp-isob.html I added Tony Gees' "solo 103" filter design to tame the mids. I also added a fair amount of damping inside. I am very surprised at how good they sound. My "reference" speakers are energy 22's, because I haven't been able to find anything better yet (though I'll be building something to take their place). The Fostex speakers have better imaging then the 22's, but still don't sound quite as good. Actually they sound incredible for the $100 or so dollars I actually spent on them. Everything was either used or scrap so they were CHEAP! Overall I'm very pleased with how they turned out. Since they have absolutely no base I'm using my diy sub based on Vikashs' peerless sub idea to fill in the low end.

Attachments

• sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 509
Thanks for the kind comments.

Comparing both the 22's and the isobaric speakers w/the sub on:

Overall the energy's sound better, they sound more balanced and cleaner. They reproduce a wider range of music, esp songs w/a lot of instruments, and faster, louder stuff (big orchestras, metal, alternative etc...) I re-did the crossovers w/high end parts (which made them sound better, but not a good deal for the $'s spent). I stop the sub @ around 50hz, and have the volume @ 11 o'clock

The isobaric speakers have a smaller sweet spot, if your head is too far from it you loose too much. The sub is set @ 90hz and volume @ 2 o'clock. The amazing thing about them is how they reproduce the human voice. I love listening to songs w/a singer and a guitar. Chris Isaacs sounds like he's sitting in front of you when he sings. Regina Spector and Joule sound fantastic also. I have some acoustic stuff from Jars of Clay that sounds as if they are in the room with you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.