Fostex recomended back horn for FE108 E Sigma - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2007, 02:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex recomended back horn for FE108 E Sigma

Anyone who has heard it have any opinions on it?
I searched here but did not find any info which I thought to be strange, I may have missed it.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 25th July 2007, 08:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I like to hear about it as well
Old 25th July 2007, 11:30 PM   #3
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, it all comes down to what you want. The 108 in a BLH will never be a bass monster. Again i am still not a big fan of most (<keyword)of the Fostex designs.

ron
Old 27th July 2007, 06:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well thanks for the replies guys,

It seems as if no one has heard these speakers except for "Taperwood" whose name I found in a "google" search which led me back to this site.
Oh well....

Andrew
Old 31st July 2007, 04:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Andrew,

Actually, I have never heard any of the Fostex designs. I have posted to a couple of threads regarding them, however. From everything I have read to date, there are better-sounding designs for this driver. I could be wrong, but my impression is that the Fostex designs pre-date Martin King's work. I think much has been accomplished since then.

Doug
Old 31st July 2007, 07:22 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are a few Fostex cabs that seem to get better reviews than the majority. From the buzz people are quite pleased with the 208 horn, and to a lessor extent the 108 horn (at least from the pics -- Gemme's $3k+ Concerti is a layertoned Fostex 108 horn). I've heard neither,

I have heard the 126 & 103 "horns". Neither was all that good (we did find a driver that works in them this WE).

We also got a chance to Aiko with FE108eS... i'd have to say it is the best i've heard that driver (still doesn't go as low as the BIB)

dave
Old 31st July 2007, 08:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
In the Fostex cab has been my least favorite alignment with my 108EZ's. In Frugelhorns, Metronomes, or OB (with bass support below 300hz) are all much better to my ears. There's something about the front terminus that detracts from the "point source sound" with the Fostex cab.
Old 2nd August 2007, 06:02 PM   #8
Jaime is offline Jaime  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Default Itís very easy to make.

I have the recommended FE108EZ and I like it.
It go down 50hz and you can hear 40 hz (attenuated).
I changed the mouth steps for an smooth surface. I think this is a good improvement.
I have before an modification CheapTrick 164 (original from Klang&Ton magazine).
Best regards Jaime
Old 3rd August 2007, 08:47 AM   #9
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
There are a few Fostex cabs that seem to get better reviews than the majority. From the buzz people are quite pleased with the 208 horn, and to a lessor extent the 108 horn (at least from the pics -- Gemme's $3k+ Concerti is a layertoned Fostex 108 horn). I've heard neither,

I have heard the 126 & 103 "horns". Neither was all that good (we did find a driver that works in them this WE).

We also got a chance to Aiko with FE108eS... i'd have to say it is the best i've heard that driver (still doesn't go as low as the BIB)

dave

Dave,

Weren't there a couple of "Spawn" type speakers that had the 108e Sigma's at your place last weekend? I thought (and so did Kevin Haskins) that they rendered female vocals better than any of the other speakers (except mine, of course).

I could be mistaken, but what I heard was just splendid.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Those will have been the Aikos, reworked slightly to take the 108s. http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-010407.pdf Glad you liked them.

Hide this!Advertise here!