GM JX92S MLTL-48 Triangle (JIT for UK Meet) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2007, 08:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default GM JX92S MLTL-48 Triangle (JIT for UK Meet)

Hello
I have had a pair of JX92S in the project to-do-list since the end of 2004. Funny thing my project stack is not FILO of FIFO a random collection of events occationally trigger activity on one or sometimes several projects. Some continue to completion (or as near to completion as I ever finish a project) some get advanced or a few extra components sourced and pushed back on the stack. There is nothing quite like a deadline to spur activity (think: last minute homework and exam revision etc). So out with the MDF. Apparently the 48 is more popular than the 31. The triangular is more of a challenge than the square box. I like to mitre so how to cut 60 degrees when the saw only adjusts to 45? I added a 15 degree offset to the saw base plate as shown:

Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Usually for boxes I use 18mm MDF for all the sides and 25mm for baffles but with only three sides I went for 18mm. If I were to make them again I would use 25mm.
I have used Dedsheet panels before but this time I had a bit of roofing felt spare so cut that in to strips and used Evostick solvent free contact glue (much easier to use than the smelly stuff).
I cut and rounded over some off-cuts to brace the sides and front. Leave the front facing leg slightly too long and when the glue sets trim them all level relative to the front with a router.
Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I cut a notch stating about 20mm up from the bottom back point to fit a pair of binding posts the cable is silicon sealed up to the driver. The BAF stuffing is neatly arranged before the front is glued. Finish to taste. What colour have I painted them? Wait and see!
Chris
Old 17th July 2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I like the neat bracing arrangement.

Look forward to seeing pics of the finished cabinet. I know from experience the triangle isn't the easiest of builds and one day I intend to rebuild mine to get a better finished result. I went for thin strips along the corners to hold everything together (three sides inside but looks six out). It sort-of-worked but hand-planing them didn't. I've since discovered the wonders of power sanders ...

Still sound good though.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: GM JX92S MLTL-48 Triangle (JIT for UK Meet)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Chris
What colour have I painted them? Wait and see!
You tease, you...

They're looking good to me so far.
Old 17th July 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

I love those little braces, they look almost hand carved.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 30th July 2007, 11:46 PM   #5
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Hey Chris,
This box got universal praise at the DIY meet - well done.

Can you give some more measurements for the panel sizes, etc for construction - I have 2 JX92S drivers just waiting for a good box to house them. Like you I have too many projects on too many burners & life keeps getting in the way of finishing them. Sounds like a good excuse doesn't it but maybe I'm just lazy, who knows?

John
Old 30th July 2007, 11:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

BTW, they were painted desert khaki-ish.

That gives me an idea - we should send them to the Gulf, and let everyone on all sides listen to them. They would do much more for world peace than any amount of tanks and planes.

I can just picture it now, an insurgent planting a bomb stops, listens, and becomes completely distracted by how such a little driver can sound so good!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 31st July 2007, 12:41 AM   #7
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Is anybody in a position to compare them to the standarad 48" box?

Edit: RandyB for instance was at the meet, I think, and has a number of JX92S boxes?
Old 31st July 2007, 07:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here's a photo of the first listen in progress...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st July 2007, 08:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

They sounded awesome on Saturday Chris. I was really impressed how they made use of the corner, it really sounded like the bottom end was rock solid.

Ed
Old 31st July 2007, 01:57 PM   #10
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Nice job on those 60 degree cuts. Those aren't easy! Excellent finish on the enclosure too

Hide this!Advertise here!