Hard time deciding/listening, B3N vs W3-1364s. Both sound great!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recieved my drivers today and promptly put them on a cardboard box top baffle to play with them. I keep going back and forth as to which I like better. Having never seen them in person before, I didn't realize how small these drivers are! Right now i'm leaning towards the B3N because of the price and the great midrange. Although I'm noticing voices are sometimes shouty? Despite the jagged response, I really like the highs on the 1364s :xeye: . This week I hope to have them in a test box. I'm using a small box for use as a 5.1 system.

Attachments

• 3incherbaffle.jpg
    3incherbaffle.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 297
I cut a hole in the front baffle and assembled the test boxes today. Test boxes are 7" cubes (.125cuft internal) using 1/2 MDF. The baffle has a 1/2" chamfer on the driver cutout.

Initial impressions from a (very) novice...

B3N: Instruments sound great. Loud voices (House of the Rising Sun by the Animals) can be shouty. -3dB@2k, -6dB@4k and -6dB@8k on my cheap 10 band EQ helped out some with the shouting and overall. Like Zaph says, with a steep xover at 120-150hz these will probably handle decent power.

1364S: Everything sounds good. A little thin sounding. Better top end. Response seems flatter. -6dB@2k tamed a little shoutyness. Doesn't seem to handle as much power.

So right now i'm liking the B3N with Zaphs notch. Mainly due to power handling and price. I think I like the 1364's better, but the power handling is a deal breaker.

...this is just a newbies observation and opinions. :xeye: :D

Attachments

• 07-19-07_0730.jpg
    07-19-07_0730.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 196
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.