Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default My first fullrange project - FR125s

Well after hearing so many good reports I thought I would try a set of the CSS FR125s. I normally listen to a set of JBL4412a, with which I have a love hate relationship. They are really loud, and some cds sound great on them. But mostly they sound hard, shouty and boxy, the tweeters are pretty awful.

I made a couple of 7l BR boxes for the fr125s, rear ported. I calculated the vents in WINISD around 50hz, but they turned out much lower, around 35hz. They will eventually be aperiodic or sealed, running with subs.

I have chemical sensitivities, so I am not allowed to work with mdf or plywood. Thus the cabinets are reclaimed hardwood. I haven't made boxes for 10 years or so, so they are a little rough. Cutting it all with a handsaw didn't help the squareness either. I've now learned that hardwood is terrible for speaker cabinets, it really sings! Looks nice though...

Click the image to open in full size.

How do they sound? I think I can live with these, for a while anyway. Vocals sound really nice. They will need some BSC or a notch filter, they are a bit thin sounding on some cds. Might be the 1k hump that Vikash found in his design. (any assistance in this area would be appreciated, I'll be using active circuits) Bass is amazing for a small driver, but only at very low volumes. I'll need to high pass these to make them usable for my normal listening levels.

I like how they disappear, and the top end is really easy on the ear. It means I can listen to cds now that I couldn't stand on the JBLs. They were dictating what kind of cds I was listening too, and that was no good.

I don't like the off axis performance however, they beam really badly, whether that will be a problem in the long run I'm not sure.

They are for certain one hell of a bargain. Getting this kind of sound out of a $220AUD box is quite amazing. (Thanks to Dan at Darcher Audio for supplying the drivers)

Adam
Old 16th July 2007, 11:44 AM   #2
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

You call that rough? You've done a very good job I think, especially with a handsaw. You've even rebated the driver.

Sorry I can't help you with the beaming issue, you may want to check out the Mamboni/ENABL thread, a little bit of paint shouldn't hurt the drivers and the theories make sense. It should smooth the rough edges off at least.
You probably know already but you should avoid pine, it has a lot of formaldehyde.

Try putting a cardboard box over them to protect the cones then a thick blanket over the whole lot and give them a good thrashing for a day or so. I thought driver run-in was rubbish until I had a pair of fostex fullrangers.

Nice job Adam,
Old 16th July 2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Simple elegance is still elegance. Nice work Adam.
Old 16th July 2007, 07:15 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OzMikeH
You call that rough? You've done a very good job I think, especially with a handsaw. You've even rebated the driver.

Sorry I can't help you with the beaming issue, you may want to check out the Mamboni/ENABL thread, a little bit of paint shouldn't hurt the drivers and the theories make sense. It should smooth the rough edges off at least.
You probably know already but you should avoid pine, it has a lot of formaldehyde.

Try putting a cardboard box over them to protect the cones then a thick blanket over the whole lot and give them a good thrashing for a day or so. I thought driver run-in was rubbish until I had a pair of fostex fullrangers.

Nice job Adam,

for the break-in period, if you wire out of phase and place the drivers face to face, you can run a lot more "power" through them

Ask Dave D @ planet10 about his experience with cone treatment on the FR/WR125 drivers.
Old 16th July 2007, 07:53 PM   #5
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

That box has a beautiful rustic Arts & Crafts look to it.
Old 16th July 2007, 09:38 PM   #6
pdan is offline pdan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Beautiful!

MD-effers eat your hearts out!

Cilla
Old 16th July 2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Agreed
Old 16th July 2007, 10:51 PM   #8
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

I like it.
Yeah, I'm not surprised about the beaming issue. I'm sure they still sound good though.
I'd love to try a pair of these in an OB with augmentation.
..No extra cash to spend right now tho.

Nice job!
Old 16th July 2007, 11:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I'll hook them up to the pc today and try some eq to see what is making them sound thin. Can't wait to get them working with the subs.
Old 17th July 2007, 06:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Had a play around with some eq, they just need a bit of BSC from around 600hz, roughly 4db. Time to build some filters.

Hide this!Advertise here!