Fe167 and wiring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m just putting together the official Fostex cabinet for the FE167e’s – now before you tell me this isn’t the best cabinet I know. This is just a bit of fun as I think the port in the speaker stand look “cute”. These drivers are eventually schedule to end up in MK’s - ML TQWT which should be a lot better.

This is mainly targeted at Scott who’s regularly recommended a twisted pair of strands out of a Cat5 cable per connection internally. Scott … I actually use a single cable of Cat5 for my speaker lead – 4 of the 8 twisted together to form a single lead (either + or -). I would normally just do the same inside the speaker – am I over dampening the drivers wiring like this.

My power amps are Musial Fidelity X-AS100’s or sometimes an old MF A100

http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip.html - details

Cheers - Phil

Attachments

• fe167e_cab05.jpg
    fe167e_cab05.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 224
They might not be the highest performing design for the 167, but those look very good to me. :)

No, you won't over-damp the drivers. A high DF amp just won't compensate for the LF roll-off of a low Q unit (thanks GM). Having said that, a) the MF amps, as SS goes, don't have an especially high output impedence, and b) the FE167E isn't a low Q driver -it's got quite a nice mid Q, so it'll work happily enough with most any amp anyway. So you should be fine. The thin wire is just a useful trick that can sometimes be pulled to tweak a particular combination -it's best not to use it as external wire for a speaker with a BSC circuit for example.

As do I. One of Fostex's finer moments, and especially good in MLTLs or MLTQWT. Not so good in a pipe-horn though -they'll do fine, but they demand a relatively large box of this type compared to, say, the 165 or 166. No free lunches in audio unfortunately. I was going to put mine in pipe-horns, but the size demanded a bit of a re-think as I don't have much space at present. An MLTL is probably what they'll find themselves in, and save the pipe-horn for the 165 / 6.

Scott - Thanks, have just wired up with cat5 and ran for 45 mins.

Ttan98 - for 45 min they so pretty dam good, might be a bit edgey but that'll smooth with a bit of run-in. Not bad bass either? If you didn't want large cabinets these see pretty good. But there are other solutions!

I'm always impressed with the way Fostex reproduce the human voice - luvly ....

Cheers - Phil

Attachments

• xxfe167.jpg
    xxfe167.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 189
I have to admit that I never built a pair of the Fostex recommended cabinets for the FE167E, although I have looked at the modeled performance.

This cabinet was clearly designed for HT with a dedicated sub. The box is actually too small for stand-alone use. It has a peaked response at cut-off. This peaking does two things: It partially takes care of the BSC and it provides better power handling. They need to be powered by an HT receiver and assigned as "small" with a cut-off around 100 Hz. Then you will be able to drive them at insane SPL levels.

I prefer the FE167E in an MLTL rather than a TQWT. For the money, this is about as good as it gets. When doing a BR, I prefer a moderate ESB alignment. For the FE167E, I like 24 liters tuned to 45 Hz.

Bob

I haven't modelled it, but what you say about the alignment doesn't surprise me Bob, as Fostex seem to favour it in their other BR cabinets that I have looked at. If there isn't sufficient house-room for some large variety of horn (and with a mid Q & Vas, volume needs to be pretty high), the MLTL seems favourite for them to me too. Oh for a larger space. ;^)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.