thinking about building my first cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been thinking about using some left overs from an old auto project to use in a cabinet.

This is my first attempt, so I'm not expecting miracles and if the things even work, they'll be immediatley relegated to Tailgating duty.

I've got two 10" dvc subs, a 5 3/4" midrange, and a 3/4" tweeter.
I already know how to make a good box for the subs, I was just hoping someone could offer a beginner some advice on how to integrate it all on a relatively meager budget, or if it's even something that could be done to even a slight degree of satisfaction.

If any of you folks have any words of wisdom, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks,
Shaylon

spc18 said:
I've been thinking about using some left overs from an old auto project to use in a cabinet.

This is my first attempt, so I'm not expecting miracles and if the things even work, they'll be immediatley relegated to Tailgating duty.

I've got two 10" dvc subs, a 5 3/4" midrange, and a 3/4" tweeter.
I already know how to make a good box for the subs, I was just hoping someone could offer a beginner some advice on how to integrate it all on a relatively meager budget, or if it's even something that could be done to even a slight degree of satisfaction.

If any of you folks have any words of wisdom, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks,
Shaylon

I think "full range" is the wrong category for this post. ;) Loudspeakers would be more appropriate.

If you have specs for the drivers you could probably just pick some suitable crossover frequencies and buy the parts. If you don't, I'd just grab one of those cheap prebuilt crossovers you can get at electronic parts shops. Chances are it'll sound pretty wretched, but you might luck out. Either tweak from there, or live with it.

Crossover design is sort of a pain to get right, and some speakers just don't play well together.

OTOH If it's just a party system you can just play with the knobs on your amp and get something you can live with.

Keep in mind if you're using car subs that you'll probably need to build the box differently (bigger) than you would when using it in a car. The car will give both some cabin gain, and probably some cone loading, both of which help to extend the lower end.

-Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.