Mikasa, next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After building several cabinets, I finally feel comfortable with a square cuts on MDF. (no table saw)

I was thinking about Harvey but like the Mikasa cabinet due to no angle cuts. I have one of my favorite "el cheapo" speaker laying around (4 1/2") with following specs.

Power capacity: 20W/30W RMS/peak
Sensitivity: 96dB (1W/1M)
Impedance: 8ohm
Re: 7.6ohm
Le: 0.25mH
Frequency response: 68Hz ~ 15KHz
Fs: 68Hz
Qts: 0.38
Qes: 0.47
Qms: 1.40
VAS (liters): 8.7
Xmax: 1.0mm

from http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=51-075

Scottmoose, should I just follow the cookbook pdf file?

thanks for all your help.

gychang

Attachments

• elcheapo.jpg
    elcheapo.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 4,547
mikasa question

on excellent file by Scottmoose, I am unclear on the behind the speaker chamber steps, the size of the plate is clearly given but the measurement of step down from the next plate is unclear, hope the attached file explains my dilemma.

thanks,

gychang

Attachments

• scott.jpg
    scott.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 4,856
Good question Greg. I sent a PM in response to your own, but in case anyone else is wondering:

If you look on the pdf file between the dimensioned diagram and the CAD render, you'll see a series of vertical lines with heights marked off. These give the respective distances of the ends of the stepped front panels from the top of the enclosure, and thus, the internal layout of the back-chamber.

Hope this helps
Scott

P.S. I haven't liked to mention this to Dave yet (in case he kills me), but I'm working on an alternative version of Mikasa, based on the Sachiko layout... this is the 1/2 space FR of the MCM unit in the new box. Not lacking for gain...

Attachments

• mcm.gif
    mcm.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 4,456
planet10 said:
I have revved Mikasa plans to add the information Greg was missing....

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Mikasa-1v01-map-070707.pdf

dave

Scottmoose said:
Excellent. :) I tried to explain it to Greg, but I'm afraid my literary skills let me down. Guess I should stick to my protected & armoured cruisers and driving MathCad. :eek:

Plant10 and Scottmoose:

thanks for letting me continue this madness of building better mousetrap, (sorry speakers).

Exactly what I needed...

Dave, what is the size of the triangular piece that goes on behind the speaker cabinet? 2"??

Greg (gychang)

finally starting on Mikasa

despite the diversion (had to build another Needles for a friend), I am starting with the Mikasa, got the pieces cut, started to glue them...

I have a question on acoustic treatment. Shall I try some polyfil in the chamber behind the speaker? or any other place?

These things are tall... Believe Bigger is Better of course...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

gychang

Scottmoose said:
Hmm. We're shooting in the dark here as these cabinets were not designed for that driver, so you're going to have to experiment to find something that suits you. Try without any damping at all initially, aside from a little in the back-chamber & then adjust from there.

I plan to make the front baffle replaceable in case the speaker combo does not work...

gychang

nearly there...

Just finished only listened to music for few minutes... It is fun but must learn to slow down toward the finish...

1. These cabinets are not for light hearted, these are heavy (made with 3/4" plywood), many pieces at one point felt like a wooden puzzle pieces. Barely can lift each, oh my back...

2. I only put about 1/2 of usual stuffing in the compression chamber as the picture shows, may have to experiment, initial impression is mid-high are little muddy with Pioneer A11 (cheapo speakers -$11 /each), forgot to glue in the small trianglular piece on the rear panel (sound "deflector", too late now). I can vouch for amazing extension to the bass reason coming out of the mouths. To be fair these cabinets are designed for Fostex, notice I made the replaceable front panel, (may add tweeter or even replace the speaker with the Dayton 4" (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-358&scqty=2), can always put on the speakers originally designed by scottmoose.

3. Lots of more work ahead, small patch work, thinking about adding more stable footing.

enjoy the pictures, and again thank all those that help newbies like me.

gychang

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.