any cast-frame super 8 users? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default any cast-frame super 8 users?

curious of impression of "tone" and HF extension & smoothess in reflex, pipe and BLH - also wondering if apparent small area (?) of cast basket openings present any adverse affects.
Old 27th July 2007, 11:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

small area is only apparent... I'm building a blh for super 8 c.f. and burning the drivers.. There is more space for airflow than standard super8s (I have tried both drivers). The drawings of such drivers are not so easy to understand...

For my ears, I find super 8 standard more similar to a smoother fe206 and s8 cast frame more like a poor brother of lowters..Without the "scream" they do. Naturally lowters are probably much better in many areas. I've heard lowters only few times, never in my room anyway.

I'm amazed for the sound still growing and trasforming in my room while they're burning in..... much, much better than super 8 "standard" for my taste. Maybe the non-resonant cast-frame. Maybe oil-snake in the copper phase plug..

I'll tell you how they sound in a blh as soon as possible... I'm working on the cabinets (and blooding for various injuries while attempting to achieve a decent result )

My english sucks. I know.

Ciao
Old 28th July 2007, 10:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks - - your English works great! -

do you think cast-frame super8's parameters are close to published specification? which BLH are you building?

Best,
Freddy
Old 30th July 2007, 10:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dunno if the specs are correct... i can't do measurement. But at 80-90 hours burning the bandwidth is (my ears says) very good. No tweeter needed, bass go low enought (in a primitive- br cardboard enclosure to 65-70 hz -no damping - Sound a little thin and there is a little ripple ... but the box is crappy and has more holes than swiss cheese. No rules to learn from it )

I'm building the sigma 208 es Sigma reccomended enclosure (last one)... in a few days ill'be ready to listen the results.
Old 13th August 2007, 03:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

First time I hear my sons.... needed a tweak-journey but
I'M PROUD! They sound very, very well!
Balanced sound (where is the rising response that scared so many people? maybe the horn is doing miracles. Anyway my ignorantia is saving me from squeezing my brain and not listen .), bass is tight and very pleasant (definitely no sub needed), laser-beamed soundstage. Dynamics are here.
I'm driving the An horns with a trashed philips cd-880 as transport, diy paradise monica2 dac and a modded t-amp (stealth mod, rewired, etc). Great combination. For my budget, the best result i could hope. (ok, maybe later a better class-t or a tube? But i'm still poor)
I love the sound. Easy to listen, natural, iper-detailed without being harsh or hurty, complete, lifeful and involving. Miles away from the three-way speakers i've used before (tnt-audio primaluce diy project, polk audio), muddy sad singers now. Maybe not a easy load. I don't know.

In my experience, you need a few time to understand the proper damping mode you prefer. AN drivers have a bigger vas than Sigmas, you may prefer a little more damping in the compr. chamber. If you iper-overdamp, bass become thin and a bit hidden. My favourite damping solution is a 20mm wool felt layer behind the driver and a thin wool layer on the side-bottom panels. In the mouth, some wool tissue, effective and elegant to see if properly cutted.
My room, my ears naturally.
De gustibus
non disputandum est....

I'm not a guru expert, and I don't have dozens years experience in audio diy. I heard only 5-6 horn speakers in my life...(lowther pm4, fe 206, old fe103s and a 5-6"ciare- tqwp I think) But indipendently, for the absolute sonic pleasure listening this kind of speakers i would indicate ANs8cf+sigma208ez horn as one of the most-rated diy project (and relatively cheap too) for a low budget- hi satisfaction build.

(Yes, I'm a enthusiast. I'll reccomend my creature even if harshy, toxic and slightly radioactive. BUT in this case, fortunately is not so. They sound amazingly. And i jump as the monkeys of kubrik's 2001 space odissey, I DO THE THING)
Obviously, if you really want two little refrigerators- sized boxes in you listening room. They are big, and heavy. In the pictures on internet don't seems so. Waf unknown.
Old 13th August 2007, 03:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'd love to hear AMs8CF in BLH but have Super 10 coming and those probably will have to live in bass reflex !

for toxic pleasure, I like Karlson boxes with good coaxial

Best,
Freddy
Old 22nd August 2007, 04:01 AM   #7
t-head is offline t-head  United States
diyAudio Member

francorovereto,

Screw the 'english'. Just post your experience as best as you can. We are listening. Experience knows no boundaries. Bon chance.

au revoir,

richard
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

PS:

After more days listening and modifying dampening solutions, my (temporary) conclusions are these:

Ans8cf is really a very good driver, but warning. The sound , even in this enclosure is a little bright. After a few hours, can be fatiguing.
You can make it softer, less bright putting more damping sheets in the cc....but at the expense of some dynamics and "liveliness" of sound.
No doubt that with a simple notch filter you can achieve a more warm and friendly sound, but i'd use this as extreme solution.... maybe pairing with a tube amp, or with warm sounding cables is better. My choice is the last one, and now listening is very pleasant.

Bass go flat down to 40-50 hz, the lower frequencies are udible but not so loud. I like this bass, my foots is tapping on the floor very often.. subwoofer is needed only if you want to be blown away by Prodigy...with funky, rock or symphonic is fantastic. Obviously exceptional with jazz. But is the kingdom of fullranges...too easy! ;D
Detail and imaging very good indeed. Sensivity in this enclosure should be 98-99 db/w.

If you have questions, ask!
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

how do they sound on Hammond organ?

here's some organ video I bumped into

Rhoda Scott

Moanin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIB2ywz3S9o

Lenny Dee

Freight Train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtdJY_JsKjU

Plantation Boogie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP6HQ...elated&search=
Old 23rd August 2007, 02:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

This sounds good. Would someone kindly enlighten me exactly the speaker we're (you're, actually) talking about?

Mahalo,

Poinz

Hide this!Advertise here!