fonken floorstanders mkII in progress - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2007, 04:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
Default fonken floorstanders mkII in progress

Hi guys/gals!.... there are just SO MUCH systems to aspire to!!!...
Been a lurker for a while, and have read pretty much every thread here, taken me about 6 months :-)

I want to build some harveys or larger frugal spawns, but I'll start with something simple first.

So I think I'll be whippin these up for my first speaker project, as they are basic rectangles and small. :-)

Based on Planet10 fe127 hifi fonken tuned floorstander MarkII, only it was done with 15mm material, but I could only source 12mm, but kepping the internal dimesions the same.

picked up some 12mm marine ply as best I could 3 out of 25 sheets with no knots front/back.

I have done a quick sketchup of the design, these are designed for full range single driver fostex fe127, and thats what I'm going to fit in them, but I also thought I might leave a curved top on it to add a tweeter at some stage if the highs did not get there with the fe127e's.

2 x fe127's on order, but I had some 100mm paper drivers with whizzer's sitting round I thought I'd throw them in till the fe's turn up.

sketchup of speakers:

Back:
Click the image to open in full size.

front:

Exploded:

Gluing the holey brace in place:

Another angle:

finish will probably be nude wood, with some sanding priner? and a light stain with a couple of clear coats.

My edges are VERY rough as I used a circular saw to cut them out and a few peaks and troughs around the edges :-) I think my next version I'll take the cut list to my wood supplier and get them to cut them out more exact than what I've done so far. I could have used a straight edge clamped to the wood thinking about it in hindsight, but I just cut em out. might do that next time, but anyway, will have these glued together and ready for testing by the weekend.
Old 4th July 2007, 06:35 AM   #2
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm building my first fullrangers at the moment, and experiencing the same problems with getting neat cuts. I found this today, the sawboard which looks like a great idea, and will use on my next project. Your project looks great, don't you just hate having to wait to hear how they sound though !
Old 4th July 2007, 07:28 AM   #3
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

That does look like a good tool. I am going to build at least one pair of Metronomes in the fall and one thing I'm concerned about is getting the angle cuts to all be the same, so maybe the sawboard with an angled cleat at one end will give me consistent cuts.

Use a router with a pattern following bit and straight edge to take out the peaks and valleys, or at least the peaks. Or for square sided boxes, glue it up with the peaks protruding over the side and use the side as the straight edge, with a flush cut bit.
Old 4th July 2007, 08:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: fonken floorstanders mkII in progress

Quote:
[i]
finish will probably be nude wood, with some sanding priner? and a light stain with a couple of clear coats. [/B]
Nice work! You'll be shocked at the quality of sound you'll get from the Fonkens. Re the finish, this might be of interest to you: one of the late, great Terry Cain's favoured methods of finsihing birch (& marine) ply:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...66#post1247866
Old 4th July 2007, 08:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zacster

Use a router with a pattern following bit and straight edge to take out the peaks and valleys, or at least the peaks. Or for square sided boxes, glue it up with the peaks protruding over the side and use the side as the straight edge, with a flush cut bit.
Don't worry about getting perfect cuts with a saw. As has been said, use a straight cut or a pattern-following router bit.

Doug
Old 4th July 2007, 10:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

how brilliant is that!... a saw board...
just did a google and found a couple of sites but this was a good explination:http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

gonna build one tonight and test it out on speaker2 :-)

that finishing technic looks tops! going to try that too.

spellings a bit off, posting on my pda :-)
Old 5th July 2007, 01:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

top bottom and middle points glued in, next is the center board for the port.

Old 5th July 2007, 02:29 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You don't realize how small these are until you stand next to them... 12mm material is fine... Chris & i sort of decided to standardize on 15mm for most everything so we could justify buying a lift at a time (and then they ran out of 15 for a bit) So we are now working thru a lift of 12.

Here is a picture of the original build of these for inspiration, now residing in NY, NY

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avi-fonkenfsglams.jpg (81.9 KB, 1791 views)
Old 5th July 2007, 08:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Now for speakers, especially floorstanders, those are cute.
Old 5th July 2007, 05:01 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Now for speakers, especially floorstanders, those are cute.
and compared to the "classic" Fonken, almost any member of this or the MLVoigt family are an easy build.

what this set of pictures doesn't fully reveal is the nice wrap-around grain matching the small enclosure size allowed

Hide this!Advertise here!