open baffle enclosure for FRS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Jazzz is offline Jazzz  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default open baffle enclosure for FRS

Will like to build a open baffle enclosure for a pair of coral flat 8 FRS.. will like to hear some comment from you guy if this could worl as the Q is only 0.5.

the desing will be something like this [IMG]http://www.dhtrob.com/thuisbij/afbeeldingen/KLankschermKM30Frans.jpg[IMG]
Old 25th June 2007, 01:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can't remember the excursion of these units, but it should do OK, so long as you don't go crackers with the volume knob or expect thunderous LF. A Qt of ~0.5 is notionally ideal for OB use BTW, though higher Q drivers with their IB lift around Fc will give more bass gain.
Old 25th June 2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
Should be fine. I use my Pioneer B20s in OB, and they're reported to have a Qts. of around .51. You will need a large baffle and/or some EQ to really get any bass, but with an 8"er, it can be done.

Kensai
Old 25th June 2007, 02:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Alright .. thanks mate .

Btw , how do you guy determine the width of the " wing " for the baffle ?

I have seen a horizontal plate that is mount on the top side of the driver behind the baffle plate..what is that for ?...as seen in this hyperlink

http://boozhoundlabs.com/jbl-le8t/images/le8t-rear.jpg
Old 26th June 2007, 01:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm guessing that top board is just there to short circuit some cancellation. Its kinda like a wing, except the vertical dimensions don't effect the sound anywhere near as noticeably as the horizontal ones. What its doing is making several different path lengths for the waves traveling in that direction which will smooth the response as you'll get different cancellation frequencies at every point.

As for calculating "wings" or even front baffle width, I don't. You could hit one of the online frequency wave length calculators if you're interested, but generally I just build baffles to A) fit the space I have and/or B) use the materials I want. Bigger is better in this case, and I just let my environment determine what's reasonable.

Kensai
Old 26th June 2007, 01:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hopfully this project will materialize ...open baffle speaker do not have a high "Wife acceptance factor" ,I am living in a apartment not much space either .. do you guy mind to sent some pic to me so as to let me have some idea how your open baffle or system look like
Old 27th June 2007, 12:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default hey Jazzz -here's a shot of mine

these are unorthodox, even for OB's

skinny open baffle line arrays using 8 vintage KLH 4.5 inch FR drivers per side. tweeter is a Radio Shack / Lineaum Dipole ribbon tweeter. Bass is supplied by 1st generation KLH model 6's which are hiding under the end tables. crossover is minimalist - nothing at all on the line arrays.

they sound best on the floor (with tweeter at ear level), about 3 feet from the back wall, and without the (ikea CD rack) speaker grilles, BUT I have a 3 year old and two crazy Basenji dogs, so compromises had to be made . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klh.jpg (43.4 KB, 296 views)
Old 27th June 2007, 12:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default my 'other' set of OB's

I recently completed a set of JE Labs Open Baffles - I cut them to fit the old console 12 inchers - currently my favorite drivers are 1957 vintage RCA 'curvelinear cone' woofers. Surprisingly, I don't even need a tweeter, although I do want to try my Lineaum's on them for sh*ts and giggles

these JE Labs OB's are GREAT - tested design, use less than one sheet of nice 3/4 inch plywood . . . my wife likes the skinny KLH OB's better, but the JE Labs come out to play plenty too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1637.jpg (47.5 KB, 289 views)
Old 27th June 2007, 01:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

New baffles go to with my newly modded B20s (Planet10 phase plugs).

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Kensai
Old 27th June 2007, 03:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

hi guy , your open baffle looks cool .

Just got an offer for a pair of Ciare CH250...so what your guys think about these driver ,any experience ?

Hide this!Advertise here!