open baffle enclosure for FRS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will like to build a open baffle enclosure for a pair of coral flat 8 FRS.. will like to hear some comment from you guy if this could worl as the Q is only 0.5.

the desing will be something like this
KLankschermKM30Frans.jpg[IMG]

I'm guessing that top board is just there to short circuit some cancellation. Its kinda like a wing, except the vertical dimensions don't effect the sound anywhere near as noticeably as the horizontal ones. What its doing is making several different path lengths for the waves traveling in that direction which will smooth the response as you'll get different cancellation frequencies at every point.

As for calculating "wings" or even front baffle width, I don't. You could hit one of the online frequency wave length calculators if you're interested, but generally I just build baffles to A) fit the space I have and/or B) use the materials I want. Bigger is better in this case, and I just let my environment determine what's reasonable.

Kensai

Hopfully this project will materialize ...open baffle speaker do not have a high "Wife acceptance factor" ,I am living in a apartment not much space either .. do you guy mind to sent some pic to me so as to let me have some idea how your open baffle or system look like :D

hey Jazzz -here's a shot of mine

these are unorthodox, even for OB's :)

skinny open baffle line arrays using 8 vintage KLH 4.5 inch FR drivers per side. tweeter is a Radio Shack / Lineaum Dipole ribbon tweeter. Bass is supplied by 1st generation KLH model 6's which are hiding under the end tables. crossover is minimalist - nothing at all on the line arrays.

they sound best on the floor (with tweeter at ear level), about 3 feet from the back wall, and without the (ikea CD rack) speaker grilles, BUT I have a 3 year old and two crazy Basenji dogs, so compromises had to be made . . .

Attachments

• klh.jpg
    klh.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 362
my 'other' set of OB's

I recently completed a set of JE Labs Open Baffles - I cut them to fit the old console 12 inchers - currently my favorite drivers are 1957 vintage RCA 'curvelinear cone' woofers. Surprisingly, I don't even need a tweeter, although I do want to try my Lineaum's on them for sh*ts and giggles :D

these JE Labs OB's are GREAT - tested design, use less than one sheet of nice 3/4 inch plywood . . . my wife likes the skinny KLH OB's better, but the JE Labs come out to play plenty too.

Attachments

• img_1637.jpg
    img_1637.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 363
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.