Pictures of FE206ES-R BLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no xo said:
Not to hijack Gray`s thread,

too late for that - and you're not the most guilty party - sometimes a guy just gets lonely and needs to be "heard"

I am using a T90AEX with the FE206ESR`s with a Fostex .33mf cap only. Expirimented with .47mf and it was to bright. Even the .33 cap sounded a little hot until break in and the tweeter was positioned correctly. I run the tweeters in reverse phase and the front edge of the tweet is about 2.5" behind front edge of the speakers. This has really helped with integration, now I don`t hear sound coming from 2 drivers, just a smooth blend. Gray, if you have`nt already, try wiring the tweets in reverse phase...BIG improvement. I`ll see if I can get a friend to post some pictures of mine. Yours are looking fine, very fine. NOXO ( just a moniker, not a rule)

it's all about the play

Hey Gray, how is the second horn coming along? I would like to know your impressions when you hear them as a pair. My guess is that you are in for some pretty spectacular imaging ( as well as most other aspects of presentation ) when both are set up. In the mean time, happy clamping, NOXO

no xo said:
Hey Gray, how is the second horn coming along? I would like to know your impressions when you hear them as a pair. My guess is that you are in for some pretty spectacular imaging ( as well as most other aspects of presentation ) when both are set up. In the mean time, happy clamping, NOXO

no xo- Thanks for the note. I have dimensioned all the plywood and have begun the process of sanding and finishing the some portions of the horn pieces.

I hooked up the first speaker about two weeks ago and have begun the process of breaking the speaker in. The initial impressions are very good, though I do seem to note some shoutiness in the midrange at times. I reversed the phase on the T90A and it seems to integrate better with the FR speaker. I was surprised by this minor tweak and it may be just my imagination- I have old ears.

The clarity in the midrange is exceptional especially with a breathy female voice (read Corinne Bailey Rae).

In comparing it to the BK16 BLH from Madisound the dynamics and fullness of sound is easily noted. The 206 wins hands down. The BLH16 has some advantages in the midrange reproduction- which was pleasantly surprising.

The most significant difference is in bass response. The 206 is a forceful driver and the 206’s larger cabinet and mouth are obvious advantages to low end reproduction.

I hope to have the other speaker finished by the end of the month.

I appreciate your insight on using a DHT amplifier to drive these things once complete. I have been seriously considering the purchase of an integrated tube amplifier (Jolida, Shanling, Pathos) but I am a bit hesitant- have absolutely no experience with tubes. I would like to be able to hear the difference between ss and tube- a demonstration of sound difference before plunking down $$. I have scoured the Seattle area for an audio store that carries tube amplifiers, other than McIntosh, with miserable results.

graykeene said:

no xo- Thanks for the note. I have dimensioned all the plywood and have begun the process of sanding and finishing the some portions of the horn pieces.

I hooked up the first speaker about two weeks ago and have begun the process of breaking the speaker in. The initial impressions are very good, though I do seem to note some shoutiness in the midrange at times. I reversed the phase on the T90A and it seems to integrate better with the FR speaker. I was surprised by this minor tweak and it may be just my imagination- I have old ears.

The clarity in the midrange is exceptional especially with a breathy female voice (read Corinne Bailey Rae).

In comparing it to the BK16 BLH from Madisound the dynamics and fullness of sound is easily noted. The 206 wins hands down. The BLH16 has some advantages in the midrange reproduction- which was pleasantly surprising.

The most significant difference is in bass response. The 206 is a forceful driver and the 206’s larger cabinet and mouth are obvious advantages to low end reproduction.

I hope to have the other speaker finished by the end of the month.

I appreciate your insight on using a DHT amplifier to drive these things once complete. I have been seriously considering the purchase of an integrated tube amplifier (Jolida, Shanling, Pathos) but I am a bit hesitant- have absolutely no experience with tubes. I would like to be able to hear the difference between ss and tube- a demonstration of sound difference before plunking down $$. I have scoured the Seattle area for an audio store that carries tube amplifiers, other than McIntosh, with miserable results.

Scour no more Gray - contact Dan at Bottlehead after the holidays, or consult the Frapper map at his site. If you're in the Seattle area, there's gotta be someone close enough to arrange something in the way of a listening session. I'd be very surprised if you'd not be pleased with the combination of even the baby amp (less than $400) with your horns.

Of course, you can always get spendier on commercial products if you like; but rather like the Fostex horns - multiple times the acquisition cost is no assurance of bigger smile on your face when you push play.

You should be warned though, the DIY addiction may have only begun.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FLH for the FE 206ES-R- Project Underway

I'm back,
Here is a close up posted for noxo.

Attachments

• diyaudio707tweet(648 x 486).jpg
    diyaudio707tweet(648 x 486).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 561
Re: FLH for the FE 206ES-R- Project Underway

noxonewbie said:
Hi,
I'm going to try to post a pic for noxo, tried once already don't believe it worked. 1 pic of 2.
Thanks

Wow! Excellent job. How about your thoughts on their performance? I'm just breaking mine in now an have hooked them up to my first tube set, which is also just getting broken in.

Attachments

• new blh.jpg
    new blh.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 452
My thoughts on the sound are good. Balanced, dynamic and fatigue free. Imaging is more natural than some of the British mini monitors I`ve had. Currently using an Audio Electronic Supply AE-25 DJH PP triode amp. Just ordered a First Watt F-1 and will post when I get it going, hopefully a couple weeks. And just for clarification, the tweeters are less than 1" back from the front and the grilles are removable, held in place with magnets. If you can`t tell. I`m very proud of the way they sound and look. This is my most difficult build to date, and worth the effort. These will be with me for a long time. NOXO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.