2'' vs 3'' fullranges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys. I searched but couldn't really find anything. If this discussion has already taken place, please refer me to the thread. Thanks.

According to Zaph from Zaph Audio, 3'' is the ideal size for a fullrange driver. He says 2'' have their problems, as do 4'', with 3'' coming out on top.

He says:
" You'll never find me running larger full range drivers because I think they generally have too many problems that degrade the sound. But the 3" wide range is another story - they are large enough to blend well with a subwoofer, but small enough to have high frequency extension and off axis response that doesn't stink. 2" drivers are too small, with poor low end extension, distortion and power handling problems. With those you end up with the typical "Blose" sound - no midbass, and a sub that's easily locatable due to a crossover that is too high. 4" or larger drivers can integrate well with a sub, but lack high frequency resolution, have terrible off axis response and have breakup nodes too low in frequency. That leaves us with 3" drivers, the magic size. "

Now, my next project requires me to use full range drivers (four off axis drivers per speaker). 2'' drivers fit better into the design, but if 3'' drivers will sound better, then by all means I can make them work.

What I want to know is whether anyone here disagrees with him, and thinks that 2'' fullranges are just as good as 3'' when paired with a sub.

Thanks!

Zilla,
My 1.5 inch fullrange or extended range drivers (all 24 of them in a focused array) sound better than many FR drivers at an 8 foot listening distance.
Will also go louder than most without breakup or other weirdness.
;)

These were Radio Shack close outs and they do sound pretty good. Dan Wiggins measured them as being flat (really flat!) from 275Hz to 20kH.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I've receintly been comparing 1.5, 2.5,3, 3.5 and 4 inch drivers as satalite speakers, personally my favorites are in the 3 - 4 inch mark, results do depend on the manufacturer! but to me the advantage of some mid bass is noticable, and it ends up being a trade off between quality of mid bass/ treble detail.

With a X4 line array, the smaller the driver, the better.

With a 3' i guess the minimum listening distance should be around 4m, and with 2', a little less...

Whatever Zaph opinions, I consider that under 4', what you get is a full range tweeter, usable mainly in 2ways set ups crossed in the low mid range. Cone movement is a major issue if distorsion matters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.