Is it advantageous to apply a sound diffusing material inside a box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Next month, after I move, I think I want to try a small NS3-193 full range project. I was going to make pill shaped enclosures and mount them to the wall. The shape is basically a box, but with a curved top and bottom. Internal dimensions will be 6.5"h x 4.5"w x 4"d. Now my question is this. I can get a can of textured spray paint for under $5. This applied to the inside of a box creates a bumpy surface. Would this help prevent reflections at all? The sides and the front/back of my enclosure are parallel. The top and bottom being arcs.

Since the enclosure will be constructed out of several CNC'd rings, I can easily make the side walls into a random ~1/8" long sawtooth texture. This would definantly create a true nonflat/nonparallel surface. And then I could mill a pyramid texture on the back panel. Would this be resonably effective in destroying standing waves and resonance?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GuyPanico said:
Would this be resonably effective in destroying standing waves and resonance?

The features have an effect on the order of their size.... unless substantial they will only blur any staanding waves or resonances... on the other hand if the angle is acute enuff, it will have a scattering effect at higher frequencies.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.