Supravox or Fertin - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2007, 03:08 PM   #1
TonyE is offline TonyE  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Supravox or Fertin

Hi all
someone can help me to choose between these very expensive driver:
Supravox 215-2000 exc and Fertin 20ex, they are similar for dimension and many other things, price included !
Thanks.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

nobody have experience on that fullrange drivers?
Old 7th June 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

For the more expensive gear the high sensitivity speaker forum at audioasylum.com is probably the better place.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

We can't really help you much until you give some more information. What are you intending to do with them? How are you planning to load them? What sort of music do you like? What sort of musical presentation are you after? How big is your room? Is it live or dead, in its resonant character? What's the rest of your system like? Are aesthetics important? How large can you go?
Old 7th June 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok scottmoose,
I know wath you mean, but I need only a objective opinion, like a comparative test with all same condictions in terms of pure pleasure of listening the sound, keeping in mind the very hi-hend.
Old 7th June 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

There was someone in here posting that he had ordered the Fertins

There is also PHY, not with electromagnet but should be nice drivers - it has lower moving mass and still lower Fs, and the advantage of being 15ohm(?)
Old 7th June 2007, 11:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyE
Ok scottmoose,
I know wath you mean, but I need only a objective opinion, like a comparative test with all same condictions in terms of pure pleasure of listening the sound, keeping in mind the very hi-hend.

Problem with that is the chosen 'objective' physical criteria may (almost certainly) suit one driver better than another, when under different conditions, be they subtle or dramatic, the results could be reversed. In reality it's not objective at all. Also remember that what one person enjoys for their 'pure pleasure of listening' might not be what you like. That's a purely subjective thing, which tends to increase, not decrease with price. The high end of audio has always been about extremes, while the budget end usually sounds much of a muchness. That's why I asked a) what you personally prefer, and b) what you're planning to do with the drivers, because one is not automatically better than the other: they'll offer different things, suited to different setups, rooms, methods of loading, personal taste etc. I'm not trying to be difficult here, or scupper your plans -quite the reverse. What I'm simply asking for is for you to give us something to work on, so we're in a position to make a sensible suggestion, rather than just randomly saying 'the x is best' because in this particular room, system, method of loading, & programme material it happens to suit one person's preferences better than the other.

FWIW, as a rule, Supravox drivers, as raw units, tend to err slightly on the warm side of neutral, and hang images back in a deeper soundstage, while the Fertin drivers, as raw units, are slightly on the brighter side of neutral and project them forward more vigorously. But these trates will be radically affected by all the aforementioned criteria, so I wouldn't set much stock by it.
Old 7th June 2007, 11:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the big error : hi-end.

Hi tinitus, I know PHY-HP , I have considered also (h21lb15 for ex.) but
I think that driver don't have a good exstension to the upper audio frequencies, so I think it need help by some supertw and I wouldn't to add it.
Old 7th June 2007, 11:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Fertin 20EX fieldcoil driver

Go to audio circle and read the thread- blast from the past:

fieldcoil speakers. This will give you an idea of the

Fertin 20EX sound.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

yes, you are rigth Scottmoose, but, by my experience, never make questions like : which music you prefer or what kind of sound is ideal for you because what I'm thinking is this moment can be untrue to oneself just by a new experience, listening new things/configuration, however I never had the possibility to hear that components, so, I hope I can collect more informations by who,in this forum, had a direct experience. For example your last infomation can be enough useful for
me, you know this is the same problem that someone have when have to buy without try, at this price!

Hide this!Advertise here!