Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2007, 03:58 AM   #11
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Goeff.
92 total ain't going to do it, I am are die hard thru & thru tube guy,,so..Well I bid on a pair Pioneer PIM-8L that are local driving distance to me. If I win them I will let you know how they do. I should have never went to the JE Labs site...lol....anyway. I am about to pull trigger, on the Hemptone 5" not bad @ 180.00 to the door.These little Calrads are doing way more than 92 at my seat & I ain't even crackin it..If I could ever find a match to my NOS Stephens Tru-Sonic FR 102, I would be the happiest man alive. best built vintage FR driver I have seen ever.Never seen one for sale since I bought it..someday though..15" monster.. I have to think the Jordan thing thru...am I paying for great midrange...or extenstion..I am just looking for THAT tone, as all guitar players do & I am one..& I sadly apply same priciples to hi-fi, Can't get the dang Alnico thing outa my head...most all alnico FR's I have tried,,, have had superiour midrange to non alnico,, then most were very misbehaved, except Coral anything..
Old 11th June 2007, 04:51 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Geoff, thanks for clarifying!

Cheers!
Old 11th June 2007, 07:40 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Since this is a DIY forum perhaps you might be prepared to go a liitle beyond simply popping a std driver on some panels.

Over the past 18 months or so I have played around with various drivers in different sizes and come to the final conclusion that 4 to 5 inches on OBs is the go if you want to get something that really sounds like a live performance. These are augmented with super tweeters and subs in my set up.

In the end I have modified some very basic drivers, the mods total about 20 or so and the they are cut off at about 50Hz with a very steep active filter and the super tweets (piezos) come in at 10k or so, though the drivers punch out to 16k cleanly

Here are some pics of modded drivers, though I have gone a couple of stages beyond these now.
http://homepage.mac.com/braddles/PhotoAlbum5.html

The original drivers are these:
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=C0626

You likely have an equivalent in the US but these are pretty cheap. They are PA drivers so they should and do work well on OBs

If your interested you can email me and I can provide instructions on how to mod them.

You need only a little power for listening in a room such as you describe, I run mine on 12V gainclones, so about 6 watts or so.

The sound on OBs is quite incredible, I have plenty of speakers here and nothing comes even within a mile of these. basically they sound like the musicians are in the room and vocals are something else again. The only failing is that they fall off at around 100hz pretty strongly so you need to have the woofer working pretty well by that stage, though they go as low as 60hz in modded form. Imaging is as you want, very good, though please consider that going OB softens this a bit due to the rear wave and its reflections, but I am happy for this trade-off and the imaging in OB should exceed that of larger drivers. Anyway OB probably is probably closer in imaging to a real live performance on a stage.

In the end it is so cheap to do this there is not much to loose.

I don't really like blowing my own trumpet so to speak but truthfully many people have come to my home to hear these and the comments have all being along the lines of "it just sounds so real"

One last point to bear in mind, most of the smaller high efficiency drivers are pretty revealing, so they work best in a system that has low noise floor levels and high but clean resolution, anything less may sound harsh.
Old 11th June 2007, 07:48 AM   #14
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

If using a supertweeter is an option you might have a look at these:
http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/CF404_SS.PDF
You find TSPs an frequency response at
http://www.spectrumaudio.de
Old 12th June 2007, 01:30 AM   #15
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

PIM-8L pair on the way, I won them...So I'll give another 8" a shot..& now decision on the 4-5" .....I must admit the FT-5 Calrads are opening my eyes & ears to alot of things, my mid bass also seems cleaner that ever with only a 5" driver. clean & solid..
Old 12th June 2007, 02:07 AM   #16
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

How about this cheap Monacor

http://www.monacor.dk/produkter/hoej...-5/vnr/104690/
Attached Images
File Type: png 896158a26a.png (17.3 KB, 313 views)
Old 12th June 2007, 06:16 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Calrads were usually OEMed by Coral.

The CSS FR125s get a lot better when you treat with a surprisingly small amount of C37. I don't know if you would find them satisfying after the holey basket Corals or the B200s.

With an XO of 150 Hz, there aren't many drivers you can't use as mid-tweeters. Modified FE127e would be high on my list given the criterion. The little hemps (both flavours) were intended to be drop in replacements for the FE127

dave
Old 12th June 2007, 06:19 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JandG
PIM-8L pair on the way, I won them...
Lovely drivers those...

dave
Old 12th June 2007, 01:31 PM   #19
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

JandG

As far as I am concerned, the tubby tone flavour of the Hemp Tone stuff walks away with the midrange, not having heard the modified FE127. It is the midrange tone of the Tubby guitar drivers that has these guys going nuts six days a week. I find the 4.5" HempTones a far superior music maker to the 8.
Old 9th July 2010, 05:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hey JandG I have a couple of FR 102 Tru-Sonic speakers. One has the original cone and the diffracter in the center. The other has a replacement cone with a three rib edge surround, also has the metal cone diffracter with the spiral center blades. Bpth seem to have FAR of 45 Hz.
Are you still looking for a 15 inch monster to match your FR 102?

Hide this!Advertise here!