Full range and/or High Efficiency possible in small cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Received the Fe 167's finding them slightly smaller than the existing holes in the front baffles. Am now contemplating removing the speaker binding post cup from the back enlarging the hole for a port and cutting a hole above it for the driver. Trouble is I dont have a router...Will look into buying one if I could justify the cost given the expected usage or may just look into the yellow pages for a wood worker.

Dave, a couple of questions;

1. What is an optimum tube port diameter and length for this 16 liter cab?

2. Do you or will have Fonken cabs for the 167 any time soon?

Regards
Seraph

Feynman a hero...

or should be to most thinking men of the planet. I wish I had a smidge of his intellect and creativity...Oh well, the world needs idiots like me too
':)'. We can't all be described as the "best young physicist" by none other than J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Seraph, glad you made a decision, and what I think a pretty good one to boot.

regarding magic, it's easy. Just think it and you become it...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sealed FE167e crossed over to an active pair of push-push Extremis woofers. Red Light District on the top, Bryston 4B on the bottom. XO is at the -3dB point of the sats (106 Hz) annd is accompished with a smaller coupling cap on the RLD (for a net 3rd order) and the low pass on the woofers is using SY's as yet unpublished gyrator-based tube XO (i have REALLY good fealings about that one).

These were for a friend of SY's in CO. Centre is also a sealed FE167. Surrounds are FE127 ML-TLs built into the wall & ceiling (all driven with 2 more RLD)

dave

Had a taste of fresh magic the other night after deciding to give the drivers a listen in the cabs existing holes... Figured I could have a listen meanwhile the drivers are breaking in and I am deciding what to do for an enclosure. So just installed the drivers and filled in and sealed off the gaps with blue tack. Closed and sealed off the tweeter holes as well using blue tack and two circles cut to size out of an old mouse pad! And in less than a couple of hours I had the drivers mounted and wired directly to the binding posts smiling all the while at the crudeness of the whole process. And soon the speakers sat on a couple of stands to be driven by 41Hz Amp 6 and a tube hybrid preamp the marriage of which is heavenly. Then there came the moment for the first few notes of “Brand New World” [Cowboy junkies—“at the end of path taken”] played through my modded work horse JVC Z1050…and I was immediately struck by the immediacy of sound stage depth and width, the truth of timbre, and clarity—the absence of haze imprinted on the precious signal by crossover components. Music has been nonstop since then as the latent magic continues in its gentle subtle flow and the drivers are breaking in. I will probably but patiently do rectangular boards secured and sealed on the front baffles with properly sized holes for the drivers. The hole for binding post cup in the back is really too low to be feasible for an enlargement…

Thanks Nanook (and Dave for feedback) for the encouragement to just proceed. What I did is an example of how making do with the resources at hand with little effort can produce outstanding results. The secret only lies in doing.

Those who are considering FR or any other purist scheme—make haste, music is upon us!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.