Needle with Fostex 108 E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
Might i suggest the Fonken-tune Floorstander Mk 1? ~18x12x99 cm WxDxH (if made with 12mm). Uses the FE127 so ~92 dB/1W. You do need to "nail" it to the floor somehow, but the same problem exists for any "needle" shaped box.

http://planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html

dave

yup, these sound "a-ight", and are certainly an easy build - just don't expect much below 60Hz

Bi polar?

I have taken many of the Planet-10 designs and made them as bipoles. The bipole increases the efficiency and umph of the design. For me this is a very good way to go.
But as I suspected we are heading away from the quest you were after. This whole thing is a compromise. You have to chose which variable you are willing to bend.

not to regress, as it seems you've gotten away from the fe108esig, but i'm getting between 30hz and 35hz out of my pair in a bib. not that impactful but it's definitely there in the test tones. this is in my studio of 70 sq meters using a little tripath amp.

if you were to flip the bib over to fire downwards and position the driver at approx. .42 length i think the results may be even better. i haven't tried them but i imagine that dave's modded 126's may also sound better and wind up cheaper.

oh yeah, the internal dimensions are 12.5 cm wide by 17.5 deep and 112 tall. very similar to your needles. it's also about the easiest "horn" build you'll find. :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.