My TABAQ Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I thought I'd start up a thread documenting my TABAQ build using the W3-593S drivers, which I bought on sale from Parts Express. I still have yet to do any real work, but I'm hoping to get the entire thing knocked out from here through the weekend. I've attached my first photo, which shows some of the parts. :D

This is my first loudspeaker DIY, and I'm quite thrilled. Thank you all for helping to make this possible.

Attachments

• the_main_parts.jpg
    the_main_parts.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,601
One of the reasons I picked this project is because I'd like to hear what a transmission line speaker sounds like. It was just luck that an appropriate driver came up for sale right when I decided to take the plunge.

Here's a pic of the first MDF board marked up. I bought 1/2" MDF in 2x4' sheets, one per side. I'll have plenty left over for something else. 1/2" is just a hair thicker than the 12mm called for in the plans, so I cut the top and bottom pieces just a little wide to compensate. I'll probably have to shave them down a bit to make them flush, but that's no big deal.

Attachments

• marked_mdf.jpg
    marked_mdf.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,414
Consul said:
Okay, I thought I'd start up a thread documenting my TABAQ build using the W3-593S drivers, which I bought on sale from Parts Express. I still have yet to do any real work, but I'm hoping to get the entire thing knocked out from here through the weekend. I've attached my first photo, which shows some of the parts. :D

This is my first loudspeaker DIY, and I'm quite thrilled. Thank you all for helping to make this possible.

interesting thread will follow closely, what dimensions are u using? would appreciate lots of pics.

gychang

I should get out my Speakerbuilding 201 book and refresh myself
on the difference.

Without electronic background but coming here to read about building, I get lost in the finer aspects of the hobby. It's been explained to me that connections in parallel are the component end wires twisted (or soldered) together on the plus line of the speaker.

Your tutorial will most helpful with the visual clues to construction.

After seeing many years of Speakerbuilder magazine, I've always
thought that construction articles should have three parts: picture, diagram and schematic to show those relationships.

I'm actually coming to speaker building from the electronics side of things, so I guess it's easy for me to say things like "all it is is a BSC circuit." ;)

I had tried to write out a long-winded explanation of baffle-step compensation, but I think Rod Elliot can explain it far better than I can:

http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm

Keep in mind, though, that his circuit as drawn in this article is for active baffle-step compensation (BSC), not passive, like I'm doing with the coil and resistor.

Hey, look! An Ikea flatpack! :D Just kidding...

I did all of these cuts using a circular saw and a fence which was held onto the board by clamps. It worked beautifully, and I am pleased with the straightness and accuracy of the cuts. There are still some bits that need trimmed off the ends of the front and back pieces for each speaker, but that's a job better suited for the power miter saw sitting in the garage. It's not a radial-arm saw by any stretch, but for this, it'll do.

The extra long piece in the front, cleverly marked "extra", is for the front panel of the false bottom I will be using to hold the BSC components. I don't know how big that'll need to be off-hand, so I'll measure and cut those pieces when I need them, which will be well after the speakers are operational. A couple of other pieces have been cut large as well, which I'll trim to fit when the time comes.

Progress has been made. Now comes cutting the driver hole, some gluing and screwing, and wiring. Fun stuff!

Attachments

• pieces_of_mdf.jpg
    pieces_of_mdf.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,039
Good luck with your speakers! Having just completed a speaker project with MDF, I would wear a respirator when working with it. It is nasty to work with and contains around 9% formaldehyde glue(unless something has changed that I don't know about). Peace. Robert

Hi!
I would say all glued panels/boards have formaldehyde contents.
In my work as a stain/lacquer technician, I get questions constantly regarding this. Even certified board suppliers who claim to have formaldehyde free boards get stuck at tests done at independent testslabs.

Guess it comes down to if pine is used as raw material. Appears naturally in pine. (or cheating as formaldehyde glue is cheaper and actually better)The regulations for formaldehyde in an apartment is really low. If a bowl of strawberrys are standing in a room, the level of formaldehyde is exceeded by ten times or so. Apples are the same.
Not to mention to walk in a pine forrest in spring. It's lethal;)

Nevertheless, combination dust/formaldehyde are NOT good. The dust make the formaldehyde stick in the lungs and are far more dangerous than to inhale formaldehyde vapors.

OT maybe, nevertheless some info thou!

Be careful out there!

Peter

No progress, I'm afraid. I took a sudden trip out to Colorado for my brother's wedding, which I wasn't originally planning on attending. Now that I'm back, I'm catching up on the contract work (the stuff that pays me), then I can get back to the speakers. Really, there's not that much left to do. A bit of trimming, wiring, gluing, and screwing, and then it's on to figuring out how to finish them.

Hi Consul,
Great thread, thanks.
I'm planning to build a pair of these as a first project too. I see you got an air coil inductor and ceramic resistor for the BSC circuit. Are you using L=1.0, R=3.9 as per Bjohannesen's design, and what diameter wire for the coil, watt rating for the resistor, etc?

Hi Consul,
Great thread, thanks.
I'm planning to build a pair of these as a first project too. I see you got an air coil inductor and ceramic resistor for the BSC circuit. Are you using L=1.0, R=3.9 as per Bjohannesen's design, and what diameter wire for the coil, watt rating for the resistor, etc?

I know this is old thread. did anyone build these? with BSC circuit?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Don't waste your money on expensive large air core inductors for BSC. All you need is one of these 50 cent ones and it sounds fine. The currents needed for a small 3in full range driver is under 1amp. Typically you won't drive more than 8v, and 8v over 8ohms is 1amp.

I have it on my Tabaq with P830986 driver.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EZ8DO0G/

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.