Sachiko dual horn cabinets. Anyone tried them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, new guy here. Stephen from the Denver/Boulder area. I recently acuired a pair of 8" full range University drivers and have been looking for a cabinet to build for them. I ran across the frugal horn site and found the Sachiko cabinet and was wondering if anyone has built it and or heard it? I am considering other cabinets as well. As far as visually, I like front facing horn openings, and tall and thin as opposed to short and fat for placement on either side of a rather large projector screen. Bottom line though is sound. I may get better drivers down the road and would like to use the same cabinets. Soif anyone has an opinion on the Sachiko cabinets, I would like to hear from you. Any other cabinet plans and thoughts are more than welcome as well. Thank you!

Stephen

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PS: i don't yet know of anyone that has build Sachiko, but at least 1 Hiro exists

Attachments

• hiro.jpg
    hiro.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,166
Hi Planet,

how does that Hiro sound? Strengths / Weaknesses? I'm thinking of it for my Fe166-ESR. Any tweaking/stuffing required?

It's between the Hiro and the Fostex cabinet for this driver. I haven't heard either so I'm looking for input.

The only Fostex cabinet I heard was for the Fe103e and it was very good.

Thanks
paba

We don't know yet -neither Dave, nor I built it. I recieved the picture some time back in my Frugal-horn email account which I unfortunately wasn't able to access until I shifted to the Thunderbird email program (I hate Microsoft, and all their works :headshot: Also, to be fair, I made an error in the input) last week. I asked the gentleman about it as soon as I got active, but I haven't heard back yet. He did say though that even without any damping /'it sounds good.' Hope we get some more information from him -Andy, are you out there?

FWIW, the ES-R with probably need some reticulated foam in the twin throats to lower the upper cut-off / absorb the unwanted higher frequency information in the horn. I designed all the Spawn cabinets as generic boxes, so some user tweaking is needed depending on the driver used: as we can't set an effective upper cut off, I decided to go for more gain, and run them wide, as you can always damp down what you have too much of. A specific ES-R design is possible, but we haven't done one for the site, as the driver is a limited edition, the userbase would be very small, & so it's best left to the custom design service P10 offers while wo cater to a broader range of users with the open-source designs.

The 103 horn is a bit odd IMO -it's mismatched to the driver. The 126 would probably do better in it. If you liked that cabinet, which is mediocre as horn designs go, I bet you'll love a better optimised cabinet,

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
paba said:
[how does that Hiro sound? Strengths / Weaknesses? I'm thinking of it for my Fe166-ESR. Any tweaking/stuffing required?

Don't know. Those aren't mine, the picture was forwarded to me. I expect will get more feedback as that project continues.

The only Fostex cabinet I heard was for the Fe103e and it was very good.

My experience with the 103 cab was th eopposite of yours... Chris did such a good job on the cabs i haven't had the heart to burn them.

dave

Hi again,
So far I haven't been able to come up with the actual specs of the speakers. They are ev/university SP8C 8" drivers. I guess the same speaker has been unchanged for 40 or so years. The guy i got them from said he got them new in the 90's. He says he has the specs in the original box somewhere, although seems uncertain where the actual box actually is. They are quite heavy I did find a pic on the net, but can't read the specs. They are 8 ohm.

Attachments

• sp8cbk.jpg
    sp8cbk.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,763
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
diyninja said:
So far I haven't been able to come up with the actual specs of the speakers

From a post on the Full Range Forum

dave

SP8C from E-V data sheet :
Z = 8ohm
Fs = 55Hz
Response : 41 - 12,000 Hz ±6dB
SPL = 95dB/W/m
P = 25W RMS
Qes = 0.49
Qms = 5.2
Qts = 0.45
Vas = 1.0 cu ft (28.3 litre)
Sd = 30 sq in (193.5 cm2)

Recommended enclosure :
Vb = 1,2 cu ft (34 litres)
Vent : 4.3 sq in x 2.6"
F3 = 50Hz (-3dB)

Thanks for the actual specs. When will I learn to search group archives instead of just google? No need to answer that.

So, according to those specs, will those speakers work in a horn cabinet?, and if so, what would be a good choice, preferably something with a front horn, or two?

Thanks!! :cool:

Stephen

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
diyninja said:
When will I learn to search group archives instead of just google?

I actually found it with a google...

So, according to those specs, will those speakers work in a horn cabinet?, and if so, what would be a good choice, preferably something with a front horn, or two?

Scott will need to check, but from what i see in the numbers, a Bruce or Loreena variant looks like it will be most suitable...

dave

Er, everything.

The BIB is a pipe-horn. No chamber, vents upward, intended for corner placement. Not a Frugal-horn cabinet (but a real favourite of mine).

Chang et al are BVRs; large back-chamber, short waveguide. Sachiko etc., are a classic type of BLH, albeit using stepped expansion in an Olson-inspired folding scheme. Have a look at the plans: http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn-plans.html click on the driver names to bring up the CAD drawings & you'll see the radically different internals. Most will eventually have curved fronts. As yet only Chang and Chili-Chang (I don't like that name much) have curves; the latter hasn't been drawn yet. Not enough hours in the day, sadly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.