Sachiko dual horn cabinets. Anyone tried them? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2007, 10:48 PM   #21
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

You guys are correct: there is a big difference.

But let's say the drivers being equal, is there much difference in the sound, and how different with the two?

I ask all this because I am somewhat new to this single driver side of the speaker building business.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:07 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Well, one type of cabinet is really designed for one type of driver (low Q), and the other is designed for other types of drivers (mid-Q, with low Q + added resistance as an option), so direct comparisons are difficult.

FWIW, the small-chamber, long path designs provide more gain over a wider passband, theoretically control the driver better at high SPLs, and will sound a little more immediate; a little more dynamic if you prefer, sacrificing a little smoothness in the response to do so. The BVRs; large chambers with short waveguides, are intrinsically smoother / flatter in their response, are an easier & less complicated build, but they won't go quite as loud without distorting as the small-chamber types.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:22 PM   #23
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, i am losing track of whats what? KimChe? Chilli Chang?

In engineering you normally designate a name or first letter after the function, then include Rev. status with ADCN notes (Advanced Dwg Change Notice, witch are revs not folded into the current rev level).

Example:

PUTES-01 (Plate ultrasonic edge scan) first drawing
PUTES Rev A Plate ultrasonic edge scan) Rev A
PUTES Rev A, ADCN 001 (same as above but i saw a better way to do something minor/cheaper)
PUTES Rev B incorporated all recent ADCNs
PUTES Rev B Redline Changed something on the current Dwg during Mfg. (We NEVER get it right the first time) Most i ever Redlined was the hardening of computer enclosures for EMP.

All this helps define what the current status is. And gives a reason for my boss to ask " Mr. Ron ,why didnt you see this problem during design....are you ever going to finish the project?

Yall are confusing an old man.

ron
Old 12th December 2007, 04:34 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ronc
[B]Sorry, i am losing track of whats what? KimChi? Chilli Chang?

In engineering you normally designate a name or first letter after the function, then include Rev. status with ADCN notes
Ahh, but the names of the Changs, and all the Spawns for that matter, is more about wimsy

In the case of these two... spicy dishes

dave
Old 12th December 2007, 04:47 AM   #25
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose

FWIW, the small-chamber, long path designs provide more gain over a wider passband, theoretically control the driver better at high SPLs, and will sound a little more immediate; a little more dynamic if you prefer, sacrificing a little smoothness in the response to do so. The BVRs; large chambers with short waveguides, are intrinsically smoother / flatter in their response, are an easier & less complicated build, but they won't go quite as loud without distorting as the small-chamber types. [/B]
Got you there. makes sense. The smaller the back chamber or more restriction, the less easy to move the cone mass, due to air pressure.
Old 12th December 2007, 09:23 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Right, though in practice, the difference can often be smaller than you'd think -I've seen BVRs control the driver better than a mediocre BLH. Incidentally, although the term BVR has come to refer to a large chamber / short waveguide combination, in reality you can argue that it is applicable to most chambered BLHs (arguably compound horns aside).
Old 12th December 2007, 03:47 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I have a set of Sachikos. If anyone is around the Iowa City area you are free to take a listen. As for comparing them to other designs, I cant help you out. I have no time under my belt listening to any other FR designs.

Sachiko sitting next to my Dual 15" HWK (decware design)
Click the image to open in full size.

The day I first wired them up, they have been moved as they are leaps and bounds larger than my previous speakers (8" JBL Decades)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th December 2007, 03:59 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Ah, but do they sound good, that's the question?
Old 13th December 2007, 12:54 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default sachiko for lowther (or fostex f208 sigma enclosure ???)

Hello everyone,

I bought a pair of LOWTHER EX 3 driver recently and intended to make a voigt pipe with them ( I considered realizing "classical" lowther design but I 'm a bit afraid of the work ; I prefer design only involving right angles).

But recently I have discovered the SACHIKO horn and I was seduced by the concept. I was wondering if this easy to build design will fit an EX3 ? I read all I can about sachiko on the forum but havn't found yet the answer....

1 Is SACHIKO has good result with lowther ? Does anyone as already build a SACHIKO horn with lowther driver ?

2 I consider too building the recommended fostex enclosure for F208sigma as it has good comments on the sound and the construction only involve right angles. What about the result with Lowther ?

Thanks for your advices !
Old 13th December 2007, 01:03 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Should be fine with the EX3. It won't have quite the LF gain as the 206 because the Lowther doesn't have as much motor-power. Should still be good for 40Hz though at about 90db 1m / 1w.

Hide this!Advertise here!