FE127 for in-wall speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Im just about to renovate a house and was thinking about audio on the top floor and kitchen.

I have 4 FE127E drivers from before.. Is there some way of using these for in-wall listening?

As descreet as possible would be nice.. Can i just drill a hole and mount them flat on the cieling/wall or do I need some filter for this?

I also would like them to be "sound everyware" as possible.. No sweetspot listening..

Is this doable with this driver at all?

Could actually work quite well - and certainly won't require any BSC-

But a simple hole in the drywall won't give you the optimum enclosure volume, rigidity or required damping for internal reflections. You will probably want to devise some type of rough-in plywood or particle board box for under the drywall.

If "background" sound is your goal, a variation of an MLTL for ceiling mount would probably be the best for several reasons. With a paintable perforated metal grille plate designed for wall/ceiling speakers, the installation would be reasonably discrete.

In fact I think that Dave at Planet10 sketched a design using the same driver for HT in wall surrounds, that could be adapted to your situation.

Do you happen to remember where that sketch might be?

I have the drivers in diyAudio ref Bipole today.. And they have a very "direct" sound (small sweetspot). How can I avoid that in a wall-mounted setup?

Some more details about the room:
The walls are of wood with isolation and then wood again with a crawl space behind them.

Like this:

||------------------||
Wood, Glass-wool, Wood

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrisb said:
In fact I think that Dave at Planet10 sketched a design using the same driver for HT in wall surrounds, that could be adapted to your situation.

Chris & I built some in-walls for a client in Colorado. They were diyRef FE127 ML-TLs reshaped to fit in the walls (and one in the ceiling) These require 2 holes in the wall if you build the straight ones -- one for the driver & one for the terminus. You would have to be creative to get the terminus and driver in proximity.

Alternately Rabbitz little bass reflex, or possibly the "computer" speaker (4.5 litre) i'm working on might be easier (ie less wall-board to replace)... one could probably fit a GR-Fonken derivative in with a bit of creativity.

To get any bass out of the 127 requires some sort of rear augmentation, just stuffed in the wall you might get 200 Hz out of them.

To keep from having some specific sweetspots, getting them up above standing ear height might be nesessary (unless you do something like the Dueval Planets (now we are exiting discreet and headed towards sculpture*).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

* (one idea would be to use a little fixture for the planets -- i only looked at Ikea -- couldn't find any suitable metal ones)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=65901&langId=-15&chosenPartNumber=70082511
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=65572&langId=-15&chosenPartNumber=50082512

dave

I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-524

This is similar to the installation kits that numerous mainstream speaker manufacturers have been supplying for their in-wall systems for the past 10 yrs or so. Supplying with a removable blank MDF baffle for the DIYer is a great idea.

The perforated metal grilles and mounting bezel are paintable to match the wall or ceiling finish, and I'd think any of the vented (either BR or MLTL) FE127 designs could be adjusted to fit the larger baffle plates.

mr coffee; the posted conus deflector looks great, and overall the presentation is reminiscent of the Stewart Hegeman speaker of yester-yore, but I think that Xor is looking for a stealthy install.

No doubt that an in-wall or ceiling install could deliver the bottom end without the need for any BSC. However,without some type of dispersion / deflector device, HF dispersion will certainly have some hot spots; with an average ceiling height of 8ft, listeners directly under a driver location will be much closer than almost any normal nearfield position.

When HT surrounds are ceiling or wall mounted, this is usually less of an issue, since they tend to be focused to dedicated seating areas; and for "background" music fill, I'd suspect less than critical listening rules would apply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.