Utah 8" full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given a pair of Utah 8" drivers and need help with choosing an enclosure. On the back of the mgnet the only info is "Utah over 40 years", and a number stamped on the frame 20-8437. The magnet is not large or heavy, the cone and whizzer is black paper, with a treated cloth surround, with fairly stiff suspension, ( I don`t have a digital camera ). They were in an old console, prpbably from the early to mid 60`s. If anyone is familiar with these, I could use some advice, or I will probably build something like Godzilla`s design for the Pioneer B20, and put an old Motorola piezo on the back, which were given to me by another friend. I was lucky enough to get the drivers for free, I just wish I knew how to maximize their performance. Thanks, NOXO

Seems like we`re on the same wavelength, (pun intended). I also thought the cones looked like a B20. And my first idea was to start with an open baffle, something I`ve never done before. I also have a couple old Magnavox 15" that might make good helper woofers in an OB, but , as my moniker suggests, I don`t know anything about designing a XO or filter for the woofer. Would a 3way OB, using the 8" as wide band, piezo XO`d high and the woofer coming in around 250HZ, be workable? Biggest problem is space for an OB in my room. That`s why I`m also considering Godzilla`s design for a B20 + piezo. Knowing enough to be dangerous is, well, dangerous. Thanks for the replies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.