4-5" alnico fulrange for monitor project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody could recommend small alnico driver with 89-90db efficiency which would comfortable go to around 10-12kHz? I have a nice Expolinar alnico ribbon tweeter and for a quite a bit looking for suitable mid-woofer to cross with 6dB at 10kHz as a helper tweeter . Fostex F120 fits the bill (although I did not hear it) but with its US price of ~$400 a pair just to expensive. The requirement is 89-90 dB, 8ohm ,paper cone ,alnico motor , smooth response and decent price. Thanks, L

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I dont think I like the membrane on F120A
but FX120 is said to be a nice driver
There is also the alltime starr, Tangband W3-871SA(new in black)
Or maybe Veravox 5S/X
And not to forget the small 50mm Jordan

I admit not to have heard any of these and have learned not rely entirely on others judgement;)

Why alnico

Actually I have never compared but I think I like how alnico drivers sound . I heard a few vintage units and liked their tone. Thy are too efficient for the ribbons I have though. I have Audax 6.5 aerogel right know but they are marginal for the job (although that was original german design some years ago in "Klang & Ton" called ESPRIT ) aerogel cone has a heavy break up modes over 3k and ribbon should be crossed much much higher . I also don't want typical for small woofers forced pumped bass sound (like all those abbys, omegas, totems impressive speakers ) just natural roll off in closed box. Thanks.L

Why alnico..

Ok, but having never done a comparison a lot of research may be required. Also, again,(a typical lack of information),what's too expensive. or not too expensive?

Is $300 a pair too expensive? or 200?
What type of enclosure are you considering? once answered the field narrows considerably, and considerably fast:)

Re: Why alnico..

Nanook said:
Is $300 a pair too expensive? or 200?
What type of enclosure are you considering? once answered the field narrows considerably, and considerably fast:)
Good points. Further on enclosure, must it be a 2-way / or alternatively, must it be a 4-5"??? I mean, how far down in freq would you like the 4-5" to go??

monitor project...

limino,

why not build something with the 208's (which ones particularly?). Seems you could have great sound with something you already own! If higher frequecies need a "boost", consider getting a different set of tweeters.

Not sure what the real goal is. Is it the physical size of the enclosures needed for the 208s, or the hope for a small monitor for it's own sake? I'm gettin a little confused.

Why confused?

As I said I'm looking for a mate to the alnico ribbon tweeters I have for little monito project . They(ribbons) are 89-90 dB so I'm looking for the 4"-5" alnico driver in that range because I'd like to cross ribbons ~10kHz and with drivers bigger than 4"-5" it is not that easy ,and I want reference (or close)upper mid , mid ,low-mid , mid-bass. Thats why I don't want to introduce any port noise nor port bass into the mix .The speakers would be used fullrange in bedroom ,office (or with some woofer cab I may knock-off later to have some bass). I'm using Fostex 208 Sigma (the latest one ) in my main system in front horn as a temporary solution.(augmented by horn tweeter ) I'm not very fond of it although I heard it sounds good in Basszilla with Aurum Cantus G2SI. Everything clear now??.

ok..thanx

for the clarification

Well I could unabashedly promote planet10's Fonkens as a great place to start then I spent the last month or so with them,while doing a review. The drivers are modified, and well within your budget AND near your target efficiency.

Check out Hemp Acoustics as well, they have a few smaller drivers that are near fullrange, and some small woofers as well. Depending on how low the ribbon tweeters can go , these could be a solution as well.

Neither are Alnico, but both sound great. If 20 litres is available, the Hemps by themselves are very good and almost truly fullrange.

"Don't eat a yellow snow"

my English teacher used to say and
I could not get it for a long time;0)
Thank you for Hemp link . They look interesting especially 8" but their frequency range is ~4k and 8 " is too efficient .I will have an eye on E-bay for fostex . I heard that in Japan they cost ~$200 ,maybe I'll be able to find some channel trough my friends. I could eventually buy them from Madisound but there is almost no info regarding those speakers and I feel a little uncomfortable spending the cash. I would not like to cross those ribbons lower than 8-9k .Those are really nice tweeters with huge alnico 5 magnets and were expensive .I'm not sure if replacement ribbons are still available and don't want to stress the drivers .Also I don't believe in using ribbons below 10kHz. They are fairly unknown and selling them makes no sense so it's better to build some speakers with them instead looking like they are gathering dust on the shelf .Thank You for your help!. L

try planet 10, his are not alnico, but VERY good

planet10_hifi Fostex drivers , and they go very high, nice without a tweeter and very good in the Onken enclosure. Add the tweets, and get what ya want. Sorry, I spent most of last night searching for new Alnico 4-5" full range drivers. One problem is getting deep enough bass,high enough highs, Alnico and reasonable cost ($75 USD ea). I think 6" Alnico vintage drivers might work, or 4-5 JBLs if you can find em., and can get em cheap enough.

The FX120 "standard" is 89dB, not sure of magnet type, and $102 each.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
By your specification the driver you are looking for is an FE103A variant. You need to find them used, they are alnico, the size you want, and approximately the efficiency. There are quite a few variants, the best being considered to be the Coral holey basket, the National that comes out of the Akai Jetstreams, and the very rare ribbed Atomix. Price should range from $25 to $100/pr (the latter for a VERY good pair of the very best of these). As they all tend to be 40-some years old -- alnico tends to degrade over time, many suffer from "stiff surround syndrome", and cone, glue & surround conditions are variable -- it can be a bit of a crap-shoot when going after these.

At their best these can sound very good, but i'd still take a pair of modded FE127 for overall performance & consistancy (some might rightly accuse me of some bias, but i have been thru some 30+ pair of FE103A variants)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is a pic of the most famous (and most common) one.

FE103A-i.jpg

and there is a whole thread on the variants...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56478

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.