Dual Concentric a true full range???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is the Tannoy Dual Concentric considered a true full-range speaker?

It certainly takes the form and position of a full-range, but it has two drivers and must have some sort of cross-over point, I would think.

Any thoughts?

I have this crazy idea of making a pair of massive front-loaded horns with DCs (or similar). It just seems a natural design...extending the edge of the cone into a horn. It would be very close to a point source speaker.

Hi,
Not really a full range since they use a crossover to split the frequencies between the woofer and tweeter. Full rangers are one driver and Tannoy's are two.

Tannoy do make some cheaper concentrics known as ICT or inductive coupling technology. These do not have any electrical connection to the tweeter. You could, almost, compare these to a full range with a whizzer! Well, kind of!

The horn design is very well known to Tannoy enthusiasts around the world.

Check out this link: http://www.tannoy.com/WestminsterRoyalSE

And this DIY Autograph:http://users.on.net/~richard.norrish/Autograph/

Also try searching this forum for 'Tannoy Autograph' to see what others have done. I think it might have been Max Lorenz(?) who has built some and I think he even built some really cool miniature versions too!!

Edit: Check out page five of: http://www.tannoy.com/media/Prestige_brochure(2).pdf :bigeyes:

These are huge but many people have scaled the cabinets to fit their needs and drivers.

Sorry, I should have known that you already knew of the existing horn designs but you didn't mention them. ;)

Just for the record ................... you must be totally nuts but I really like your style!!!
What do you reckon? Would you use a 6.5" or 8" DC or would you go for the absolutely certifiable 10/12/15".

The efficiency and size of a 15" DC with a 'proper' horn would be off the scale!!

I am looking for a design for the 15" Tannoy DC but rather than a massive horn, I would want a more slender design.

I just picked up an older Guy Fountain model from the '50s from an auction room here in Napier, NZ. How to get it back to the UK may be a problem!! But, hey, it only cost me NZ$9.90 (about US6 or 3 pounds)

Andy

Well, the 15" would be my first calculation...but without crunching the numbers (not that I'd know where to start), I'd be guessing house-sized!

You see, I'd go from the "how big do I want to horn" aspect, and then figure out the driver to match!

But in all honesty, it's more of a mental exercise than anything.

I've also been designing my own DC-style driver...not that I've ever built a driver before. But I could! How hard could it be? I've got a metal lathe and a milling machine. In fact, the hardest part seems to be figuring out what to use as a magnet. So far, stacks of rare-earth magnets seem viable, but expensive. Maybe an electro-magnet...maybe even an electro-magnet powered by a power amp in reverse phase from the source.

I really do sound like a mad scientist, don't I?

torontodude said:
Did I say I needed a small magnet? I don't remember saying that. ;-)

Why else would you consider rare earth magnets? Better diaphragm control? Sensitivity? People, (especially Tannoy people,) say that Alnico has it's own sound? Give me a clue!

I have noticed with my humble Tannoys that good control over the tweeters REALLY helps to tame the 'honk'and sibilance that I'd always assumed to be a natural function of the horn throat.

Dual concentrics...

er. I haven't designed one, but I did manage a rather nice sounding Co-axial design that could be taken to a logical extreme..

There a few surface mount tweeters out there that would (or rather could) be mounted very near the voice coil of a woofer. A simple capacitor could limitthe range going to the tweeter.

My system consists of an Oxford j10 driver gfrom an organ (actually 2 in the organ), and a pair of salvaged Seas or Vifa tweeters (from a set of Missions, and an old X-over salvaged from ab old pair of Wharefeddale Dentonlls. fugly as sin, but very nice to listen too.

in an OB, they make beautiful music. Never tried em in a horn, but I think couild be very nice.

Sonusthree said:

Why else would you consider rare earth magnets? Better diaphragm control? Sensitivity? People, (especially Tannoy people,) say that Alnico has it's own sound? Give me a clue!

I have noticed with my humble Tannoys that good control over the tweeters REALLY helps to tame the 'honk'and sibilance that I'd always assumed to be a natural function of the horn throat.

Well, as far as I know, I can't get a ceramic magnet or Alnico magnet made custom for me within any reasonable price (for 2). So several rare-earth magnets allow for a lot of customisation in width, diameter, and height.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.