Dual Concentric a true full range??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2007, 10:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual Concentric a true full range???

Is the Tannoy Dual Concentric considered a true full-range speaker?

It certainly takes the form and position of a full-range, but it has two drivers and must have some sort of cross-over point, I would think.

Any thoughts?

I have this crazy idea of making a pair of massive front-loaded horns with DCs (or similar). It just seems a natural design...extending the edge of the cone into a horn. It would be very close to a point source speaker.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Dual Concentric a true full range???

Hi,
Not really a full range since they use a crossover to split the frequencies between the woofer and tweeter. Full rangers are one driver and Tannoy's are two.

Tannoy do make some cheaper concentrics known as ICT or inductive coupling technology. These do not have any electrical connection to the tweeter. You could, almost, compare these to a full range with a whizzer! Well, kind of!

The horn design is very well known to Tannoy enthusiasts around the world.

Check out this link: http://www.tannoy.com/WestminsterRoyalSE

And this DIY Autograph:http://users.on.net/~richard.norrish/Autograph/

Also try searching this forum for 'Tannoy Autograph' to see what others have done. I think it might have been Max Lorenz(?) who has built some and I think he even built some really cool miniature versions too!!

Edit: Check out page five of: http://www.tannoy.com/media/Prestige_brochure(2).pdf

These are huge but many people have scaled the cabinets to fit their needs and drivers.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, of course the Westminster! Of course....

That one goes without saying!

But I was thinking something more like a single, large, Avantgarde Acoustic, Ferguson Hill, or Oris horn design.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I should have known that you already knew of the existing horn designs but you didn't mention them.

Just for the record ................... you must be totally nuts but I really like your style!!!
What do you reckon? Would you use a 6.5" or 8" DC or would you go for the absolutely certifiable 10/12/15".

The efficiency and size of a 15" DC with a 'proper' horn would be off the scale!!
Old 12th May 2007, 11:45 PM   #5
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
I am looking for a design for the 15" Tannoy DC but rather than a massive horn, I would want a more slender design.

I just picked up an older Guy Fountain model from the '50s from an auction room here in Napier, NZ. How to get it back to the UK may be a problem!! But, hey, it only cost me NZ$9.90 (about US6 or 3 pounds)

Andy
Old 12th May 2007, 11:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
...... But, hey, it only cost me NZ$9.90 (about US6 or 3 pounds)

Andy
Andy, I'll give you double what you paid. P.M me.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:58 PM   #7
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonusthree

Andy, I'll give you double what you paid. P.M me.

Sorry, no can do.
I will be looking for offers of at least 4 times what I paid!!

Andy
Old 12th May 2007, 11:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, the 15" would be my first calculation...but without crunching the numbers (not that I'd know where to start), I'd be guessing house-sized!

You see, I'd go from the "how big do I want to horn" aspect, and then figure out the driver to match!

But in all honesty, it's more of a mental exercise than anything.

I've also been designing my own DC-style driver...not that I've ever built a driver before. But I could! How hard could it be? I've got a metal lathe and a milling machine. In fact, the hardest part seems to be figuring out what to use as a magnet. So far, stacks of rare-earth magnets seem viable, but expensive. Maybe an electro-magnet...maybe even an electro-magnet powered by a power amp in reverse phase from the source.

I really do sound like a mad scientist, don't I?
Old 13th May 2007, 12:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Are you mounting the tweeter in front of the bass/mid?
Is that why you need a small magnet?
.. and yes, you are mad.
Keep up the good work!
Old 13th May 2007, 04:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Did I say I needed a small magnet? I don't remember saying that. ;-)

Hide this!Advertise here!