SMALL horn bookshelf ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
I recall somewhere seeing a small folded horn bookshelf. It looked to use a 4-6" driver. Judging off of that, it seemed to be about 12" high, by 8" wide, by perhaps 16" deep. Anyone ? Would there be a benefit of a small horn over a bass reflex design ? Sorry, but I am obviously a FR noob.
I'm currently building a low powered (4-6w) SE amp for my bedroom, and space is a premium (The amp itself is going to fit inside a jewelry box). All I am after would be response down to 65hz or so; as I have a feeling the tiny OPT's I am using roll off below 55hz anyway.

Thanks !
Steve

Gents,
Thanks for the help - Sreten, those bookshelves sure look tempting; 94db would be an excellent match for the amp and room size.
Anyone else ?
I was looking at planet 10's fronken box. Im sure it would be an excellent match as well; but I don't have a table saw, etc. So that kinda puts it out of the running.

Thanks !
Steve

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anything that small isn't really going to be a horn, but a TL variation... doesn't really matter as long as it works....

I have a set of BK101s on my test bencg that work wonderfully... (no tweeter used anymore)

FE103A-BK101.jpg

original plans attached

dave

Attachments

• bk101_lenge.gif
    bk101_lenge.gif
    50 KB · Views: 856
It cracked me up to see that old box lying on that even older persian rug. Both the box - now painted with blackish fleckstone and still playing at uncle Elis appartment, and the rug exist.

When i built it i think i estimated the spacing between panels.

The speakers actually make music with a RS 1197. Great sound for the $$$ but still best with a sub IMO. Today if i decided to build them again id use pine rather than mdf.

Thanks,
Godzilla

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Steven-H said:
Sreten, those bookshelves sure look tempting; 94db would be an excellent match for the amp and room size.

94 dB is probably a bit optimistic. Factory on the driver is 93 dB, and the average of 40 units i've actually measured is about a 1/2 dB less than that. The 126 really doesn't work all that well in a BR, an FE127 is a better bet here.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Steven-H said:
I was looking at planet 10's fronken box. Im sure it would be an excellent match as well; but I don't have a table saw, etc. So that kinda puts it out of the running.

Have you checked the box plans recently? 3 easier to build variations of the Fonken are now up (2 of them floorstanding). I haven't done a simple BR based on the Fonken tuning but Rabbitz BR is probably close to what that would look like.

dave

planet10 said:

94 dB is probably a bit optimistic. Factory on the driver is 93 dB, and the average
of 40 units i've actually measured is about a 1/2 dB less than that.
dave

The apparent 93-94 dB sensitivity cannot be achieved in a small vented construction. It would be much too bright.
Thus the overall response is tuned for a ~89 dB sensitivity, but this is not bad at all for a mini.
Many similar constructions may only reach 80 dB/2.8V/1m.

planet10 said:

The 126 really doesn't work all that well in a BR.......

dave

I've tried cross-calculation on the Fostex data (right) and something juts doesn't fit.
Cross-calculation on own data looks fine, but Mms is significantly higher and Qt
fortunately much higher, making a vented cabinet more appropriate.

:)/sreten.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Steven-H said:
Any idea on the width dim of the modified plans ? What driver would you recommend with this ? 126/166 ?

As Scott said, my drawing was for clarity, we followed the original (internal width = 173mm) ... This is designed for the FE103, I'm used FE103A (which required a supraBaffle after we tried to install the driver and found the extra deep magnet wouldn't alow the flange to meet the baffle), and Jeff used the Radio Shack 40-1197.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.