Interesting inexpensive 5" & 8"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting inexpensive 5" & 8"

found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160053631214&rd=1&rd=1

specifications here:

http://www.miscospeakers.com/SpeakerDetail.cfm?SpeakerID=60

& here:

Description: 5" (127mm) 8 ohm, Full Range 15 watts, paper cone with pre-treated black cloth surround
MODEL JC5FD
FRAME SIZE (INCHES) 5.0
SHAPE Round
VOICE COIL DIAMETER (INCHES) 1.0
OPTIMUM AUDIO RANGE Full Range
MAGNET WEIGHT (OUNCES) 10.0
CONE BODY MATERIAL Paper
CONE EDGE MATERIAL Pre-treated Black Cloth
POWER MAXIMUM (WATTS) 30
POWER RATED (WATTS) 15
MOUNTING DIAMETER INCHES 4.69
TOTAL DEPTH INCHES 2.07
RATED IMPEDANCE (OHMS) 8
RESONANT FREQUENCY (Fo Hz) 85
FREQUENCY RANGE (Hz) 60 - 12,000
SENSITIVITY 1 Watt/Meter (dB) 93
TOTAL Q (Qts) .33
FLAME RETARDANT (Blank = No)
WATER RESISTANT (Blank = No) Yes
SIZE (MILLIMETERS) 127
RoHS Compliant

can anyone tell me if these would be a good canidate for an inexpensive bipole metronome experiment/first build?

can anyone run this through the martin king's worksheets for me? please :)

i'd like to purchase martin's diy subscription for a year of worksheets but don't have a clue on how to use them. are there any good tutorials out there? i've looked but haven't found what i'm looking for :-(

since the freq range only shows 12,000 would require an inexpensive tweeter. any recommendations?

btw they also have this 8"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
which might interest some

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Quality-Raw-Frame-8-Loudspeakers-50-Watt-NEW_W0QQitemZ160062454745QQihZ006QQcategoryZ32861QQcmdZViewItem

amk

For 8" unit @ $11.60 each you cannot go wrong, for bipole, 4 units cost only $46.40 plus postage.

Martin King is very helpful and if you buy his s/w I am sure he will help you on how to run and interprete the results.

I have not bought anything from him, he still help me on understand/interprete his work sheet output.

i am running a few projects at the moment, I am considering a bipole at a later stage.

i'm interested in the 5" in a small metronome mainly because its easy to build. unfortunately the specs/data that the worksheets call for are not available so i don't know how to proceed & don't want to bother martin because of this & don't know enough to make an educated guess.

i was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction

amk

You could do what I did with speakers of unknown parameters, build the box out of cardboard. I took a pair of RS 40-1041 full range 5" drivers and stuck them in a cardboard Metronome built to the FE108 sigma size boxes. Use stiff cardboard but don't spend any money on it, just find some in the trash behind a store or in a recycling bin. Cut the cardboard with a box cutter (of course) and use packing tape to seal them. Try to stress the box when you seal it to make it stiff, use some internal braces. Use PVC pipe for the port.

You will get a sense of what the drivers can and can't do, even if not perfect, without spending a dime. It only took about an hour to build the pair.

And mine sound great in the vocal range, but lack any significant bass and they can't be played loud as they buzz at high volume. I think they'd sound pretty good in a real box but I'd like to play a little with the box size first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.