Fostex FE127e: Fonken or BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Fostex FE127e that has been in storage for a couple of years now.

I am building a 7 watt PP tube amp based on the 832 tube, and I wanted to do a DIY cabinet for my Fostex FE127e.

I have narrowed down my choice to the Fonken (planet10 design) and the BIB (it has a very, very long thread on this forum).

Anybody can tell me the advantages/disadvantages of both design (I can build both of them with ease).

Thanks.

I almost posted a smarty-alek answer regarding the obvious dimensional differences; but I think Alex is also interested in sonics.

FWIW, I'm not sure anyone has yet made a direct comparison of these two specific enclosures - but since the BIB is so darn simple, I may just have to blast a set together. It's just getting time on the CNC to route those elliptical supra baffles that create the bottleneck.

IIRC, from comments made elsewhere, the BIB's compared to something like the Frugelhorn or Ron Clarke A126 may well go deeper, but lack some of the clear articulation of lower mid-bass on down.
Of course in those comparisons, the other variable could have been FE126 vs FE127.

Has anyone actually directly compared these two drivers in a BIB?

The Fonkens sound quite delightful on 5 or so W of P/P triode (EL84).

chrisb said:
I almost posted a smarty-alek answer regarding the obvious dimensional differences; but I think Alex is also interested in sonics.

FWIW, I'm not sure anyone has yet made a direct comparison of these two specific enclosures - but since the BIB is so darn simple, I may just have to blast a set together. It's just getting time on the CNC to route those elliptical supra baffles that create the bottleneck.

IIRC, from comments made elsewhere, the BIB's compared to something like the Frugelhorn or Ron Clarke A126 may well go deeper, but lack some of the clear articulation of lower mid-bass on down.
Of course in those comparisons, the other variable could have been FE126 vs FE127.

Has anyone actually directly compared these two drivers in a BIB?

The Fonkens sound quite delightful on 5 or so W of P/P triode (EL84).

I was hoping that I can have a finished speaker with the 127e with decent bass so I don't have to resort to a subwoofer assistance.

I built a bipole 127e based on Gio Militano's design and it needed subwoofer's help, but it sounded great on vocals (It was designed to work together with a subwoofer). My brother heard those bipoles and he begged for it, so now he is using it with his PP KT88.

Is the Fonken not very sensitive to placement? (I would assume since it is basically like a front ported BR speaker, I could be wrong on this).

I understand, so far from reading the BIB thread, that the BIB would need a ceiling or a wall for loading?

Ok, thanks for all your replies, I think I will build both! I would start with the BIB and then do a Fonken.

BTW, Zilla's site is down, would somebody please post the BIB dimension for a Fostex 127e? Please!

alexg said:

I was hoping that I can have a finished speaker with the 127e with decent bass so I don't have to resort to a subwoofer assistance.

I built a bipole 127e based on Gio Militano's design and it needed subwoofer's help, but it sounded great on vocals (It was designed to work together with a subwoofer). My brother heard those bipoles and he begged for it, so now he is using it with his PP KT88.

Is the Fonken not very sensitive to placement? (I would assume since it is basically like a front ported BR speaker, I could be wrong on this).

I understand, so far from reading the BIB thread, that the BIB would need a ceiling or a wall for loading?

Ok, thanks for all your replies, I think I will build both! I would start with the BIB and then do a Fonken.

It's a hobby, as well as a journey, so why not do both?

I've never heard any BIB's except Terry Cain's original set with the Radio Shack 1354's. They were OK, ...just.

The Fonkens, OTOH, are very, very good sounding and I've heard them several times. Take your time and you'll have "keeper" speakers.

All this is just my opinion of course.
Best Regards,
TerryO

alexg said:

Hi Alex,

As you already know, the FE127E is a very nice driver. Amazing when you consider the cost. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the several designs you will find here ... fonken, BiB ... Also, don't forget about the Reference project (MLTLs): http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46934

At low listening levels, the vented designs deliver sufficent bass (for me) and great sound. However, I found that in a vented box the midrange begins to suffer as you approach moderate listening levels.

For those interested, here is Alex's build of the
Fostex FE127E Sealed Bipole.

Hi Gio, I also saw the inverted BIB in this forum with a Karlson slot (I think it was Planet10's design). This offer a better speaker placement option than the regular BIB.

I will be doing the Fonken or the inverted BIB. Will let you know which one I will do first (really depends on the materials that will be available when I go to the hardware store today).

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.