Fostex FE127e: Fonken or BIB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2007, 01:57 AM   #1
alexg is offline alexg  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE127e: Fonken or BIB

I have a pair of Fostex FE127e that has been in storage for a couple of years now.

I am building a 7 watt PP tube amp based on the 832 tube, and I wanted to do a DIY cabinet for my Fostex FE127e.

I have narrowed down my choice to the Fonken (planet10 design) and the BIB (it has a very, very long thread on this forum).

Anybody can tell me the advantages/disadvantages of both design (I can build both of them with ease).

Thanks.
Old 7th May 2007, 07:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well the Fonkens are about 14" tall (unless you do the floorstanders), and the BiB's are like 6' tall.
That's a pretty big difference.
Old 7th May 2007, 08:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

The BIB for Fostex 127e is about 50" tall.
Old 7th May 2007, 08:30 PM   #4
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I almost posted a smarty-alek answer regarding the obvious dimensional differences; but I think Alex is also interested in sonics.

FWIW, I'm not sure anyone has yet made a direct comparison of these two specific enclosures - but since the BIB is so darn simple, I may just have to blast a set together. It's just getting time on the CNC to route those elliptical supra baffles that create the bottleneck.

IIRC, from comments made elsewhere, the BIB's compared to something like the Frugelhorn or Ron Clarke A126 may well go deeper, but lack some of the clear articulation of lower mid-bass on down.
Of course in those comparisons, the other variable could have been FE126 vs FE127.

Has anyone actually directly compared these two drivers in a BIB?

The Fonkens sound quite delightful on 5 or so W of P/P triode (EL84).
Old 7th May 2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd go BIB...simple application of Hoffman's Iron Law
Old 7th May 2007, 08:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb
[B]I almost posted a smarty-alek answer regarding the obvious dimensional differences; but I think Alex is also interested in sonics.
What can I say, I'm weak in the face of snark.
(it was mostly a bump, the thread was dropping off the front page with no response.)
Old 7th May 2007, 08:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Or more.
Muuuuuuuuuuhahahahahahahahaha.

Jeff
Old 8th May 2007, 12:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I almost posted a smarty-alek answer regarding the obvious dimensional differences; but I think Alex is also interested in sonics.

FWIW, I'm not sure anyone has yet made a direct comparison of these two specific enclosures - but since the BIB is so darn simple, I may just have to blast a set together. It's just getting time on the CNC to route those elliptical supra baffles that create the bottleneck.

IIRC, from comments made elsewhere, the BIB's compared to something like the Frugelhorn or Ron Clarke A126 may well go deeper, but lack some of the clear articulation of lower mid-bass on down.
Of course in those comparisons, the other variable could have been FE126 vs FE127.

Has anyone actually directly compared these two drivers in a BIB?

I was hoping that I can have a finished speaker with the 127e with decent bass so I don't have to resort to a subwoofer assistance.

I built a bipole 127e based on Gio Militano's design and it needed subwoofer's help, but it sounded great on vocals (It was designed to work together with a subwoofer). My brother heard those bipoles and he begged for it, so now he is using it with his PP KT88.

Is the Fonken not very sensitive to placement? (I would assume since it is basically like a front ported BR speaker, I could be wrong on this).

I understand, so far from reading the BIB thread, that the BIB would need a ceiling or a wall for loading?

Ok, thanks for all your replies, I think I will build both! I would start with the BIB and then do a Fonken.

BTW, Zilla's site is down, would somebody please post the BIB dimension for a Fostex 127e? Please!
Old 8th May 2007, 01:04 AM   #9
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alexg

I was hoping that I can have a finished speaker with the 127e with decent bass so I don't have to resort to a subwoofer assistance.

I built a bipole 127e based on Gio Militano's design and it needed subwoofer's help, but it sounded great on vocals (It was designed to work together with a subwoofer). My brother heard those bipoles and he begged for it, so now he is using it with his PP KT88.

Is the Fonken not very sensitive to placement? (I would assume since it is basically like a front ported BR speaker, I could be wrong on this).

I understand, so far from reading the BIB thread, that the BIB would need a ceiling or a wall for loading?

Ok, thanks for all your replies, I think I will build both! I would start with the BIB and then do a Fonken.

It's a hobby, as well as a journey, so why not do both?

I've never heard any BIB's except Terry Cain's original set with the Radio Shack 1354's. They were OK, ...just.

The Fonkens, OTOH, are very, very good sounding and I've heard them several times. Take your time and you'll have "keeper" speakers.

All this is just my opinion of course.
Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 8th May 2007, 02:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

The BIB for Fostex 127e is about 50" tall.
Can't open your page, I really would need the dimension this week.

Anybody who knows the dimensions?

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!