Fostex Fe127e - Pawo or Mileva? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2007, 10:07 PM   #21
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Being, as I am, a 'vintage' guy, I only listen to 'vintage' music

Jess
Old 19th July 2007, 02:35 AM   #22
Derekva is offline Derekva  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseG
Being, as I am, a 'vintage' guy, I only listen to 'vintage' music

Jess
Hmmm...last I checked they're playing The Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, etc. on the oldies stations...doesn't that count as vintage?

Or if vintage means 'big band and earlier' do you have a recording of 'Sing Sing Sing' by Louie Prima you could crank up to 11 for scientific analysis? Or the 1812 Overture? Or Saint Saens' Organ Symphony?

-Derek

p.s. Anyone else familiar with the PAWO running Fe127e drivers + subwoofer want to weigh in? Dave? Scott?
Old 19th July 2007, 03:48 AM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Derekva
p.s. Anyone else familiar with the PAWO running Fe127e drivers + subwoofer want to weigh in? Dave?
I've heard our proto-PAWOs vrs Mileva. I'm waiting to hear Jesse's deluxe ones before i comment on that comparo... add a pair of subs to any FR and high-pass the FR. The higher you cross the more you can rock. Once you start XOing above 150-200 Hz you have to ask why am i building this complex (and big) cab when a simplier one would work better.

(actually you can say this about almost any speaker)

dave
Old 20th July 2007, 04:59 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

I've heard our proto-PAWOs vrs Mileva. I'm waiting to hear Jesse's deluxe ones before i comment on that comparo... add a pair of subs to any FR and high-pass the FR. The higher you cross the more you can rock. Once you start XOing above 150-200 Hz you have to ask why am i building this complex (and big) cab when a simplier one would work better.

(actually you can say this about almost any speaker)

dave
For the record, my modified 40-1197 open-baffle speakers (damar varnish, Planet10 phase plugs, felt on the back of the magnet, damped basket. etc) did pretty darn well (when augmented by a sub crossing at 85Hz) with 'Cultasaurus Erectus' last night. Given that the Fe127e is supposedly much better than the 40-1197, I'm guessing that it should do fine (even though there's a big difference between open baffle speakers and horns / TLs.

Also, in case I haven't thanked you before, Dave, thanks for the phase plugs - great performance-improving tweak! I don't suppose you sell singles, do you? I may need one for a mono setup in my office.

-D
Old 20th July 2007, 05:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default I should also mention

...that I've found Blu-Tak to be almost as effective as duct seal (and easier to work with) for damping baskets. It also appears to maintain its elasticity for a longer period of time.

Plus, it's blue!

-D
Old 20th July 2007, 07:07 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Also, in case I haven't thanked you before, Dave, thanks for the phase plugs - great performance-improving tweak! I don't suppose you sell singles, do you? I may need one for a mono setup in my office.

Sure i'll sell you a single. And with minimal packaging and no insurance i can sneak these out as a letter so that the postage doesn't close to double the cost.

dave
Old 20th July 2007, 07:09 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: I should also mention

Quote:
...that I've found Blu-Tak to be almost as effective as duct seal (and easier to work with) for damping baskets. It also appears to maintain its elasticity for a longer period of time.

Plus, it's blue!
Yep, BT works. As to whether it remains more plastic depends on the brand of duct-seal, I've pulled dusctseal that i 1st applied over 25 years ago and reused it, finding it the same consistency as new stuff.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!