Yikes, what are these cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the bottom part'll be a BVR / PA scoop-bin with a 15in woofer, and those are easy enough to do -Dave & I have done plenty... ;) The tricky bit of course would be the upper portion for the 206. I know nothing about this method of loading, other than that I remember seeing photos of similar implementations in the past. I have a rough idea of how it works -i.e that the back-radiation is channelled forward by those flared waveguides to the side (I think), but beyond that, what passes for my knowledge dies out. Clark's the man to ask re this particular one; for information on how to design the things from scratch, GM, Ron, Dave & possibly JohninCR will be our experts. Guys?

yikes.

well, I was hoping that people would NOT stumble on my site yet. it is still sorta under construction.

I have been putting the hobby on hold for a while. at least the internet portion of it. trying to finish up school.

Blumenstein-Ultra-Fi.com will be the site by which I market my hobby/business. just selling small and large horns at low volume to a few folks. mostly nagaoka/cain inspired, lots of fun.

it is also a site where I will post some of my diy projects, etc. musings on life, all to be found. nothing is proofread or toned down yet though. it is a little bbit ranty at the moment. very ameturish. would you expect anything better from me yet though?

so this pa is rather fun. it is actually my favourite sound system. I found it to NOT really have too many of the problems that the dudes on speakerplans.com complain about.

the 206 is in a sealed box. limits excursion. also ups temp on the VC. has the 206 complained yet? hhmmmm... a little. I usually try to monitor the things like hell when I am putting a band through them.

I do not use a crossover. yes there is muddiness. and it is NNNIIIICCCCEEE. don't be afraid to flavour things up a little every now and then.

a j bin is not as accurate as a folded horn. granted. it is also easier to build, lighter, cheaper, easier to move around, set up, etc. you don't necessarily have to use them in arrays.

I like my system for vocal PA alone best. it is most dynamic over that range. bass material contricts absolute SPLs somewhat, but it is still killer up to the breaking point.

think of it as a TL versus BLH in room. similar compromises/payoffs. 35 feet listening distance rec from speakerplans.com is also bull. these things were carrying almost full frequency quite well over 200 yards. that is, without a crowd...

with a crowd, they need to be lifted up off the ground so the direct radiation of both drivers is not compromised. then you have an issue with coupling.

without a crowd the acoustics of dirt and grass is amazing. it gives such an easy tone to the 206 that now I see no reason to use the 206 inside anymore. just try your frustrating horns in the back yard or a field with no concrete or other crapifiers around. BBBBAAAASSSS results. midrange liquifies. you will wanna throw out your power conditioners and BS cables and instead sod the living room.

I have been spending alot of time outside recently. trying to get in touch with nature. it is important.

Clark

thanks.

yeah, I am still working with Jason Flanary at Cain and Cain, so this is really just an outlet for all my experimental and philisophical fun.

I will have a line including probably 20-30 different speaker models. it will include a radio alarm clock, a boom box, all the way up to my adaptation of the REAL nessie with dual 16 inch subs. yup, meaning that scary, 14 ft tall monster. not trying to reinvent the wheel in any of the designs, the adaptations will be visible. I just want to provide solutions for alot of different rooms, amp budgets and tastes, which is never a one size fits all thing.

I am hoping that it does NOT take off. I have my hands and mind busy for now. graduating, getting health insurance, starting a life.

well, have fun with this one. I reccomend the horn lense, btw. it is a real help. the sealed box is nice too. limits excursion/vc temp goes up a bit. I used an eminence delta lf in mine, but I am sure there are better drivers out there for this box.

thinking about room PA, there was a thread a little while back that was the bbbib box. it used an eminence 12 inch full ranger. using that with a slot horn in a small club would be killer I think. never heard it though.

one design I will play with. the other, is seeking refinement (and arrayability) of this 206 pa system. thinking about how to get the mothers capable of some truely crazy performance.

I know we can stack 15 inch j bins, but the 206 is what I wonder about. will there be significant disadvantages from putting many more than one on top of the other, etc? comb filtering?

well, later, and thanks for the interest.

Clark

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: thanks.

blumenco said:
thinking about room PA, there was a thread a little while back that was the bbbib box. it used an eminence 12 inch full ranger. using that with a slot horn in a small club would be killer I think. never heard it though.

I have one of those 12s soon to arrive... i was thinking of a BA-Bruce-style Spawn BVR for PA use...

dave

design the things from scratch, GM, Ron, Dave & possibly JohninCR will be our experts. Guys

Just looking at the operation principal, there are going to be phase issues and cancellation at given frequencies.
IMHO just seal in the rear wave and let it mechanically roll in at whatever frequency.

ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.