What do full-range guys think of ESLs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was just wondering what advantages full range speakers such as Fostex et al had over ESL panels. ESL speakers tend to be a lot more linear in terms of harmonic distortion and frequency response, and do not need a helper tweeter (usually). Given the choice, would you chose a full range dynamic speaker over an ESL?

Hi Bigwill

Thats a bit of a loaded question. I have ESLs and FR and even a pair of Ariel TLs. They are all brilliant at different things.

For my own taste, which others may not agree with, I prefer the ESLs for folky, light orchestral and general live recordings of acoustic material, nothing else comes close in my opinion.

For jazz I much prefer the FRs.

For blues and rock I think I favour the ariels, although the FRs are also happy with the heavier stuff like rock.

The ESLs would be an all round choice but for the lack of bottom end authority.

as always YMMV.

Regards

Ed

"ESL" is a category that ranges from the "original" full range electrostatic of Peter Walker's 1950's design ( Quad ESL57), to Dayton Wright XG-8, Martin Logans, Acoustats, and too many hybrids to mention.

In many cases their limitations are not necessarily frequency response, but excursion/SPL related and the comfort zone of driving electronics. Of course the large true dipole designs also have the issues of room placement and domestic partner acceptance factor.

Hey Bigwill...

I agree with everything that you have noted. I think that an ESL is the easiest and potentially the least expensive speaker project a DIY type can build. ESL's require the least amount of mechanical skills as far as cabinet building skills go and the frames can often be pre cut at a wood supply shop and assembled at home on the kitchen table (when the misses is at her mothers to visit).
Narrow line source ESL's image and stage as well as can be had. Wire stators are a bit of a fus to build but it is mostly in time consumption not dificulty, once built they ate bulit proof and will last a very long time. You can purchase pre coated perforated stator panels for reasonable and end up with a very professional end result. Buying ESL's with dead panels and good step up interfaces is very inexpensive so all you need to do is build new panels.
I woud say that for a given amount of effort that ESL's will yield about the highest level of performance you could hope for. For the widest possible bandwidth and highest efficiency use the thinnest film you can get ("C" grade tensilized Mylar) and stretch about 2-3% max for tension. Three to four micron film is available and is reasonable in terms of cost. You can use reverse 70 volt line transformers to start for cheap and 240 to 9-12 volt torroids for a little more. Use a dynamic sub for bass and haver fun. Regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.