cutting dust cover off of fostex fe166

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i just ordered a pr of phase plugs and they should be here in a few days, i wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if its ok to cut the duct cover off today and play the speaker until the plugs get here.

also can anyone tell me what to expect after i install these, the drivers are in a fostex design horn cabinet. im verry happy whith them and hope this will improve the sound.

thanks

Cut them out today if you like.

Just make sure nothing damaging gets in there before the plugs arrive. You can still use them in the meantime.

You will notice that the slight sibilance (sharp S sound on vocals) that the FE166E exhibits will be smoothed off, and the treble sounds more balanced and detailed. Phase plugs make a lot of difference to the 166, and I really like mine. I'm battling with the 206 now, but I still prefer the 166.

If you have the drivers out of the cabinets, are you going to tie the chassis to one terminal, and damp the frame and magnet face while your at it?

:smash:

Better than cutting cake, that gives a few minutes of enjoyment. Plugs don't have an expiry date, and only work in the voice coil.

Seriously, it does take a bit more care. Then relax and enjoy the surprises. The sooner you do it, the less you'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier.

Regards,
Geoff.

i did it

instant output gain, not sure shure how much i like. it was like lifting a viel but now almost seems to bright. then again my ears just might have been used to the mud.

i cant wait to here what the diference will be when i get the plugs.

thanks for the support and pics

bob

"it was like lifting a viel but now almost seems to bright"

That's a good way of putting it. When the plug goes in, the sound seems to blend, and many subtle improvements occur. Even the bass, due to harmonics.

Its almost like replacing your CD collection with remastered copies.

Enjoy,

Geoff

G

Joined 2002
Re: i did it

fin1bxn said:
instant output gain, not sure shure how much i like. it was like lifting a viel but now almost seems to bright. then again my ears just might have been used to the mud.

i cant wait to here what the diference will be when i get the plugs.

thanks for the support and pics

bob

I recently installed some plugs also. As a result I now feel the need to change the BCS circuit to take full advantage of the changes.

Well I performed the operation yesterday. Scalpel, but no face mask needed. Fairly easy really. The plugs are a snug fit and I 'm very impressed.

So far as the sound is concerned. First impressiosn were that the treble was vastly improved and the midrange was smoother. But where had my bass gone ?

Further listening this morning led me to believe that the phase (no pun intended) was wrong. Familiar tracks sounded odd. I am normally very thorough in checking that wires are connected where they should be (and I will check the soldering to the speaker cones). However by reversing one set of speaker cables. Bang, Wow, is this what we are supposed to hear ? Glorious highs, tight deep bass, massive soundstage.

I know you are all going to laugh, but adding the phase plugs doesn't alter the phase, does it ? My subwoofer is set to anti phase. Now to get any output I have to turn it all the way in the opposite direction ????

Hi Puffin, Congrats.

The phase plugs would not change the phase enough to reverse the phase. They probably don't change the phase at all, just send it into the room without bouncing off the cone.

My guess is you have had one channel reversed all the time - easy enough to do. It normally makes the mids hollow, and bass weak. Having the sub may have masked that, as it was in phase with one channel or the other.

You will be hearing new things for a while. One thing than can cause the bass to thin out, is the plug rubbing on the voice coil. I use a piece of paper cut to almost encircle the plug. Slip it in, and withdraw the paper.

Speaking of strange noises, I spent 15 minutes looking for a rattle I did not have. Van Morrison - Brown eyed girl, and a few other tracks. The bass guitar amp has a loose grill cloth, or lifting spider. If it's in my system, it's the DAC in the player.

Regards,
Geoff

Hi Puffin, I can only speak of paper cones, not having tried any of the "exotic" types.

The main cones of my Wharfedales were given a coat of PEP aircraft gasket cement 30 years ago. The cones are still in very good condition.
I have done many others in PVA, some straight, some diluted, always improving the sound.

Model aircraft dope shrinks the paper in order to tighten it over the airframe. I don't think we want to do that to a speaker cone.

There are some tips on Dave's Planet10 site, using Puzzle Coat and Damar.

I am so confident in the benefits that if I ever take my other Wharfedales back to bear metal, I'll treat the new cones before assembly, and won't use dust caps.

Geoff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.