12 inch full range - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2007, 11:33 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Here is a 15" FullRange Driver

http://www.ahujaradios.com/product12...t=SK-15FRX/FRZ

Kanwar
Old 21st April 2007, 01:34 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I'd be wary until I saw an FR graph. Most response graphs presented by manufacturers should be taken with about a ton of salt, as you can bet they've been smoothed, but at least they give a rough indication what to expect.

Might do well on a baffle though.
Old 21st April 2007, 02:33 PM   #23
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

I would be willing to bet the AN 12 might be pretty sweet run nice n easy, on an open baffle. If I read those woefully reproduced spex, the Qts=.58 which lands it squarely into that territory. With the big diameter you get a bigger sound, and if you have to supplement with some little tweetster, so what? It has a ~decent Xmax of almost 2mm, and if you had a PCI card with PEQ, you could do well to add some gravitas. Well tweaked contouring can make more difference than what speaker, what amp, what source, often.

I never thought I would say that about anything coming from THAT website, but hey, science requires an open mind.

Now if we could have something like that in HempTone flavor...
Old 21st April 2007, 09:02 PM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Cheers

Quote:
Originally posted by enzedone my fostex 127 sound may be described as beamed, but only at high volumes, I am pretty sure it is a distortion.
shouldn't larger diameter speaker distort less if played at same volume as smaller speaker?
Yes a larger driver will tend to be able to play louder before it gives up... this a function of how much air they can shift as you turn the wick up...

The stock FE127 has some rough edges particularily as the voulme increase that are dramatically mitigated with the appropriate treatment. With some small expenditure on damar & puzzlecoat, wool-felt, duct-seal and.or something like SR-2000 (latex paint-on damping for the boat-building industry -- i haven't talked about this for modding yet, but we are very happy with our research0 and a little TLC on your 127s you'll be able to get a lot more out of them than you are... And an enclosure like Harvey would maximize the dynamic capabilities at higher volumes. I'd be very surprised if any 8, 10, or 12" (of reasonable price -- let's use your $500) has any chance of doing mids & tops as well as the modded FE127.

dave
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Cheers

Quote:
Originally posted by enzedone
This will be a one shot deal for me. I don't live in Europe or the US where your dollar has so much buying power. I can't afford to buy something, get it down here & then find out it is cheap rubbish. And then turn around and just go buy another pair...
PS $200US would be about $500 by the time I landed them here, with the huge postage costs.
Well with the NZ$ an all time high against the US$ now is the time to buy!

If you really want to play safe I would very strongly recomend a Fostex FE168EZ in BIB cab. I am getting bass out of these beauties that I prefer to my IB mounted Adire Shiva subs. But its all around what you want from a speaker. If bass is the be all and end all then maybe the Fostex 8" drivers are a better bet.

As for a "one shot deal" - I honestly don't see that as being in the nature of DIY audio ;-)

Good luck,
Chris
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:55 PM   #26
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

At some time I thought about a 2.5way with double AN 12 and a ribbon - although with very high sensitivity and expectations of good bass, its not cheap any more and a quite different game
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:06 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Happened again, back out and refersh after a post and it gets reposted - sorry!
Old 28th September 2007, 02:19 PM   #28
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

I also run Calrad 12AE in OB & have for quite a while now. D. Mason also runs the Calrad 12 A in OB. At least did the last time I talked with him. It really is a good OB driver & for the money I dought it can be beat for a true FR driver. I run nothing with mine & is in a 2nd & or 3rd system driver by a fine tube amp & tube tuner for source mostly. I think I have 60.00 in my pair..1 was NOS
They also revived my intrest in Alnico drivers & have since went all alnico in all my OB systems, & all have Coral OEM FR drivers, PIM -8L etc....
Old 28th September 2007, 11:29 PM   #29
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Then of course there is the good old Emeinence Beta-12LTA. About $60 each here in the USA. Don't know how much south of the eqautor, if you can buy them down there.

Tons of dynamics, good tonal structure. Needs a tweeter above ~7K.

Reconed, it is used in the famous Hammer Dynamic

FWIW
Old 21st February 2012, 04:29 AM   #30
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

I was just again looking at the Audio Nirvana 'Super 12 Cast Frame', which is $248/pr. It looks like they no longer sell a stamped frame, but have all cast frames.

I didn't see this review anywhere here. But if Affordable Audio is anywhere near honest, the review they gave the Super 12, is quite nice.

And if you consider, the total cost is for a pair of drivers, which comes out just under $125 each.

I'll keep looking around, but I'm beginning to really like this driver. The Super 12 "Neodymium", and "Alnico" are just a bit beyond my range. Besides, at my age, my hearing is not what it used to be, so the $800/pr of the later two may well be lost on me anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!